drawbar Morse3 to 3JT adapter

Looking for a 3JT taper to Morse3 adapter for use with a drawbar . All I can find is with a shank.

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

T.Alan, Unfortunately I can't help with a commercial source for your adapter. I had a similar problem looking for a JT33 to MT2 adapter to use with my Atlas Clausing 8520 mill and Rohm keyless chuck. They all have tangs as far as I could find. I bought one anyway and had the devils own time machining off the tang, drilling and tapping for the drawbar. Seems the adapter was hardened. I finally put the adapter in a piece of copper pipe with one end pinched off and the other sealed with a brass plug. Put the whole thing into a charcoal fire and let it burn until the coarcoal was gone. Fished it out when cool and it had turned a nice blue-grey color and was well annealed. There was virtually no scale except where air had leaked in a little at the crimped end of the pipe. I finished drilling and tapping and can now use my new Rohm chuck. I haven't tried to reharden and temper it as it seems to work well as it is. For my hobby use I doubt it will matter. YMMV.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schoenbeck

If you're wanting to mount an accessory on a 3JT that will have a MT3 taper, maybe you could find a JT3 taper to straight shank, and use a collet that's the size of the straight shank. I dunno if you could locate a JT3 to straight shank, but perhaps you could modify something that's available, so it could be used with a collet.

WB ..............

Reply to
Wild Bill

When you say shank, do you by any chance mean tang? If it is the tang that is the problem, you might consider drilling and tapping for a drawbar. You might have to anneal first, or it may be soft enough as is.

The Morse to Jacobs arbors are much more common with tangs than with drawbar threads, although Jacobs might be able to point you to one. You might also try MSC or one of the other suppliers - they can get a lot of things that aren't in their catalog.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

You might give Grand Tool Supply COrp - or search

I saw a Morse3 to 2jt in a sale catalog - perhaps they have it.

800.922.0512 New Jersey -

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn