drill holes in tubing

I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or

2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I would plasma cut these holes using a jig. Should work great for subsequent welding.

Ignoramus32280

That would work good IF I had a hand held plasma cutter. I don't like to farm stuff out unless there's not another way.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"Karl Townsend" wrote in news:4ada306a$0 $77547$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

Don't forget you will end up pulling the skids into a shape resembling monkey food by welding on only the one side.

Reply to
Charles U Farley

Karl Get out there and get busy on that CNC plasma machine languishing in the shed! Steve

Reply to
Up North

Rotabroach(TM) or similar annular cutter. Work great, last long time.

I've never tried these, but they're similar and are made specifically for thinner material.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ignoramus32280

Anybody know about annular cutters?

I have a huge Jacobs chuck. Most drill shanks are not hardened. Could I cut the shank down on this cutter to fit my Jacobs chuck?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I just seen these (see another post). Any reason i can't turn the shank or make a custom arbor?

I think I'll go this way, just need to figure how to mount it in the radial arm drill press.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

So what worked the best for pulling the conduit out of the ground?

I would cut the holes with a oxy/acet torch because that is what I have. Make some sort of jig to guide the torch and also to guide a drill to speed up starting the cut. A 1/4 inch hole or ever somewhat smaller would be enough. Yeah you can piece with the torch, but it is a lot nicer to start at an edge. It speeds up the heating as the heat can not go in all directions.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:27:41 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend" scrawled the following:

Perhaps weld slightly larger diameter sleeves on the outside, then use cotter pins to hold the hoop ends in them. This makes them assy more flexible, too, a good thing when bein' drug aroun', y'hear?

We just had a nice, windy storm blow in. I got a full hour of paid work in with one client this morning (the first one all week) and have the rest of the weekend off. We beat the rain by 2 hours. The work was rolling up her awning over the back patio.

-- The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Bill Noble

Several post answers here...

Ryan - nothing like a strong young man.

Don't want to use torch and make the rail in to a banana.

Also the rails have the sleeve of clear through for purlon attachment.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I like the way you think. For that matter why use tubing. Why not use some 3/16 by 2 inch bar on each side of the sleeve. That would be close to tubing, just no top or bottom. Ought to pull okay. Would not work for pushing.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Plasma cutter and a simple template

Gunner

Gunner Asch

That was my suggestion, as well.

Glad we agree.

Ignoramus32280

Of course. Bright minds often think alike.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Yep, you're right.

But the greenhouse is for my better half. She loves to garden. Doing something for her comes first. I KNOW there won't be time to finish this in the spring if I don't get the skeleton done before cold weather this fall.

Too many projects. Too little time.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Why drill the hole? Make a clamp to hold the upright at 90 degrees and clamp and weld.....

Reply to
jbslocum