drill holes in tubing

I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.
To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.
Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
I would plasma cut these holes using a jig. Should work great for subsequent welding.
Ignoramus32280
That would work good IF I had a hand held plasma cutter. I don't like to farm stuff out unless there's not another way.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
"Karl Townsend" wrote in news:4ada306a$0 $77547$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:
Don't forget you will end up pulling the skids into a shape resembling monkey food by welding on only the one side.
Reply to
Charles U Farley
Karl Get out there and get busy on that CNC plasma machine languishing in the shed! Steve
Reply to
Up North
Rotabroach(TM) or similar annular cutter. Work great, last long time.
I've never tried these, but they're similar and are made specifically for thinner material.
Ned Simmons
how about gas cutting
Reply to
Ignoramus32280
Anybody know about annular cutters?
I have a huge Jacobs chuck. Most drill shanks are not hardened. Could I cut the shank down on this cutter to fit my Jacobs chuck?
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
I just seen these (see another post). Any reason i can't turn the shank or make a custom arbor?
I think I'll go this way, just need to figure how to mount it in the radial arm drill press.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
: I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right : now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I : can drag it to new ground every year. : : To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on : each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a : vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a : ladder laying down. : : Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or : 2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through : SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option. : : Karl : Maybe I'm missing something but ... Why drill any holes at all if you're going to weld sleeves on? Art
Reply to
Artemus
So what worked the best for pulling the conduit out of the ground?
I would cut the holes with a oxy/acet torch because that is what I have. Make some sort of jig to guide the torch and also to guide a drill to speed up starting the cut. A 1/4 inch hole or ever somewhat smaller would be enough. Yeah you can piece with the torch, but it is a lot nicer to start at an edge. It speeds up the heating as the heat can not go in all directions.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:27:41 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend" scrawled the following:
Perhaps weld slightly larger diameter sleeves on the outside, then use cotter pins to hold the hoop ends in them. This makes them assy more flexible, too, a good thing when bein' drug aroun', y'hear?
We just had a nice, windy storm blow in. I got a full hour of paid work in with one client this morning (the first one all week) and have the rest of the weekend off. We beat the rain by 2 hours. The work was rolling up her awning over the back patio.
-- The blind are not good trailblazers.
-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Reply to
Larry Jaques
why are you drilling holes rath r than just welding the sleeve in place? it seems like a lot of extra work - a good weld is as strong as the metal it's attacing to
Reply to
Bill Noble
Several post answers here...
Ryan - nothing like a strong young man.
Don't want to use torch and make the rail in to a banana.
Also the rails have the sleeve of clear through for purlon attachment.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
I like the way you think. For that matter why use tubing. Why not use some 3/16 by 2 inch bar on each side of the sleeve. That would be close to tubing, just no top or bottom. Ought to pull okay. Would not work for pushing.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
Plasma cutter and a simple template
Gunner
Gunner Asch
That was my suggestion, as well.
Glad we agree.
Ignoramus32280
Of course. Bright minds often think alike.
Gunner
Gunner Asch
Yep, you're right.
But the greenhouse is for my better half. She loves to garden. Doing something for her comes first. I KNOW there won't be time to finish this in the spring if I don't get the skeleton done before cold weather this fall.
Too many projects. Too little time.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Why drill the hole? Make a clamp to hold the upright at 90 degrees and clamp and weld.....
Reply to
jbslocum