DRO Scale testing

On 6/1/2013 6:56 PM, RogerN wrote:

Nope, a week of fire fighting and grumpy people. Mr. Murphy gets his mail here!

Where in hell did you get that, Roger? Cite, please.
--
Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

<snip>

Facebook, isn't that a reliable source? :-)
RogerN

No.
--
Ed Huntress

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

<snip>

Not knowing what you have available it's hard for me to suggest an easy way to test it, the voltmeter is fine. If you can put one lead on A and the other lead on B, it will read close to 0V when both A and B are the same, ~-5V when one is high and the other low and ~+5V the + lead is high and the - lead is low. Other way is if you had a couple of TTL inputs on a PLC card. Radio Shack sells the Arduino microcontrollers for around $35, you can connect to your scales, run a program and read the state of A & B on the PC screen.
RogerN
For the price, ya got your money's worth. When buying something cheap, it's often worthwhile to buy more than one.
There isn't a single standard for scale connectors, there are some scales manufactured which are intended to be a plug-in direct replacement for a popular connector used among various DRO scale manufacturers.. but many scale makers offer adapter cables and/or modules to rearrange signals or modify signals to match those of a specific DRO readout unit.
Examining some online info regarding the operation of TTL encoders will explain the simplicity of their function. Troubleshooting can be performed with basic instruments, but actual testing will require a known good DRO readout unit.
Aside from the replace-more-assemblies-roulette-game, repair isn't likely. If you're not experienced at repairing electronic gear with surface mount technology, you're essentially limited to checking cable conductor continuity and seeing if any signal activity can be detected on the signal lines.. the rest is basically throw-away low quality crap, no documentation junk, intended to create more landfills on a global scale. But I'm sure the marketing pictures were impressive.
If the internal connections are marked, connecting a known good encoder, even a rotary, will show if the DRO readout unit can count up/down.
--
WB
On 5/25/2013 7:48 AM, Wild_Bill wrote:

I usually agree on buying quality. Had we known that this mill would get the amount of use it does and how valuable a DRO would be, and what brands and vendors to use...
What brands would YOU recommend?

Sony, Mits, Newall or Heiderlein, AcuRite
No particular order.
Gunner
--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?
On 5/25/2013 9:57 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

If I can't get this up and running---I can't live without one.

How about this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAGOR-INNOVA-SERIES-DRO-for-42-BRIDGEPORT-MILL-NEW-PROKIT-DIGITAL-READOUT-/120799249910
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Axis-Milling-Machine-Digital-Readout-DRO-6-Yr-Wty-Veteran-owned-USA-company-/300908124372
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Newall-DP700-2Axis-Digital-Readout-DRO-For-Milling-/330443526335
You do know you can buy readers, scales and cables as seperate devices often times cheaper than you can buy a complete package..right? A buddy of mine has BIG machines..bought a new 10 FOOT scale for $500 for his horizontal machining center with Heidenhain DRO 3 axis.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=mitutoyo+dro&_nkwusc=mititoyo+dro&_rdc=1
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw urite+dro&_sacat=0&_from=R40
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=heidenhain+dro
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=mitutoyo+dro&_nkwusc=mititoyo+dro&_rdc=1
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=analam+dro&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=anilam+dro&_sacat=0
Now I know a couple shops that have purchased Jenix and have gotten good service out of them so far with no issues noted
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=anilam+dro&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=jenix+dro&_sacat=0
BTW......Found this...how much do yall think it is going to sell for? Cute little bastard!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-1980-STEINEL-MDL-SH4-SMALL-HORIZ-MILLING-MACHINE/310344258009
--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

Btw....its almost Christmas and Id love to put a DRO on my new Clausing Colchester
https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/NewClausing
These folks make a very inexpensive DRO on sale that would be a great stocking stuffer for me if you want to buy me one <G>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINPO-Digital-Readout-2-Scale-Lathe-Turning-DRO-us-/251276965981
--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?
On 5/26/2013 7:22 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINPO-Digital-Readout-2-Scale-Lathe-Turning-DRO-us-/251276965981

Sinpo makes a bunch of different brands including my old Uniq unit and my scales.

Ugly li'l bitch, y'mean? They sure did their damnedest to hide the tooling and accessories in the pics, didn't they? Foos.

$8-900?
--
They must find it difficult,
those who have taken authority as truth,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Newall-DP700-2Axis-Digital-Readout-DRO-For-Milling-

I put a Jenix DRO on my Millrite MVI, and it works just fine.
Joe Gwinn
On 5/26/2013 6:36 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Yep, I look at them all. If I have to replace the scales, I hope the mounts are the same because I did a PERFECT job of installation!
Check in catalogs/websites for MSC, Enco, etc.. not Harbor Freight, Grizzly or mini-mill/hobbiest sites (not for a machine used for production/income). Brand names that have product support, repair facilities and documentation.
Compare the brand name unit new prices to pieces which can be found on eBag or surplus sellers. A number of years ago, maybe 8, there were numerous DRO manufacturers' websites showing a lot of technical info and brand name cross-reference compatibility, but I dunno about now.
Or, just buy more Chinese units. Put the defective stuff on eBag and see what it will bring, maybe a good portion of the new Chinese unit. Then in let's say, 2 to 18 months, repeat.
Maybe your priority is spending any spare time demeaning others on usenet, instead of doing some research for your company's production.
--
WB
On 5/26/2013 7:51 AM, Wild_Bill wrote:

This was the first DRO I ever had and the mill wasn't used a lot. But with a brand new BP and a DRO our capabilities grew and more complex design were possible and done a LOT faster. It was just getting our feet wet on the cheap. Just like a guy just starting to get interested photography doesn't buy a Leica or he's a fool. Now, I would buy a top brand at the local supplier if the scales are bad as well as the readout. I can't complain about the Uniq, it worked perfect for 5 years up until there was a power outage that took out electronics all over the complex we are in. I had three computers, two light fixtures and a refrigerator crap out in the building, as well as the DRO.
I don't demean people on usenet, I never originate OT posts, I only respond to and make fun of outrageous statements and respond in kind to how I'm written to. Sorry if you feel offended.
Not to worry about me being offended, I don't give a FRA about it.. but you do participate regularly in the pathetic pissing contest, name calling and demeaning habits of gummer and others (apparently just for the fun? of it), so don't bother to attempt to suggest you don't.
Were readers of your post suppose to imagine that the DRO was damaged by a destructive power line surge? That's essentially the same type of damage incurred with lightning damage and likely not going to be restored to dependable/reliable operation. So use the insurance money for a better quality DRO.
Or maybe you were anticipating an insurance payment plus a simple fix.. which kinda smells like fraud.
You never originate OT posts.. well, not lately anyway. So many dumbasses seem to forget that I've been reading RCM attentively for over a decade.
--
WB
On 5/28/2013 8:45 AM, Wild_Bill wrote:

Gunner is a very good friend and our relationship has nothing to do with RCM and is far from the scope of usenet. His *real* life is far, far from what's presented on newsgroups, I can't believe people buy in to the novella! People don't have a clue! Those few of us that know, just shake our heads and chuckle at his antics and outrageous musing. And yes, I do have fun on posts that I don't originate. It's very easy to get immature people with shallow belief systems to make fools of themselves...for my entertainment and maybe Gunner's. Does ANYBODY take this shit seriously?
Thanks for the advice on my real-life DRO issue! It's really a tiny matter what ever I do with it, replacing it with a top-end unit with a phone call and an on-site technician in an hour is just a matter of doing what's necessary for production. However, it's fun and challenging to play with some interesting toy and see what I can do with it on my own. It's ALL a game and doing it cheap earns more points.
I would NEVER think of filing a claim for anything less than a tens of $k, that isn't what insurance is for nor how it works; premiums would skyrocket. Fraud is not in my vocabulary nor in my philosophy, never was - never will be.

Of course it isnt. You are a Conservative Democrat...not a grasping self centered mentally ill Leftwinger.
--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?