Drying E7018 and hardfacing welding rod

I have a large collection of rods that I got from a large company that threw them out rather than keep a msd sheet on them. Before I use them I cook off enough to do the job at hand in the heat treat oven and save the leftovers in a sealed container marked with the proper numbers. There were several 50lb containers in the mix that were opened including some 7014 and 7018 rods that should be heated. As someone else said, on a critical job I buy new rod for it.

John

Reply to
John

The hardfacing arc was more stable.

Ignoramus3462

What I have is an old convection oven. It was moms. We had a nice one so I took it to the shop as a small oven.

Bake or broil or Toast (both) with or without a fan. Has temp setting and time shutoff setting.

I hope to experiment with small things with power coating.

But cooking rods in a Bar-B-Que was me - I put the rods in vac bags. Then packed them into Tall Ammo cans.

When I open a can of rods, I put them into a Tall ammo can with rubber seal.

Mart> >> >>> I have a box of 3/32 E7018 welding rod that spent a while without

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Absorbing moisture again in bad shop conditions is all over in hours, I'm told. Hence hot quivers. There's drying ovens to 400degC - setable and accurately controlled. And hot quivers at about 120degC - simple, light, portable, robust and not controlled.

Basics ("lo-hi"'s / 7016/7018) are reckoned to saturate out at about the same hydrogen level as Rutiles (6013's). Sounds about right - was interested to see steam coming out of rod oven door when flipped it open to see how my rods were re-drying.

Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith