"Earless" Pillow Blocks and synchronous belts

I'm sure we all know what I'm referring to when I say "earless" pillow block but is there a correct nomenclature to ask for? I need earless
pillow blocks with Timken type tapered roller bearings, or something else that will handle moderate thrust, with a 1" bore and be permanently lubed.
Are timing belts and synchronous belts the same thing? I need to transmit 5 to 7.5 Hp to a parallel 1" shaft at <2K RPM, 1:1 with a motor about 10" away. I'm just not smart or patient enough to figure out the correct belt using the graphs and formulas on the suppliers' web pages while some people intuitively know what belt to use. For various reasons, I can't use V-belts.

I've seen them described as "Tapped Base" See: http://www.astbearings.com/tapped-base-pillow-blocks.html

I believe that the generic term is "synchronous belt" and "timing belt" is a term that might be applied to automobile use, see: https://www1.eere.energy.gov/manufacturing/tech_assistance/pdfs/replace_vbelts_motor_systemts5.pdf or https://ww2.gates.com/europe/index.cfm?location_id573
--
cheers,

John B.
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 08:53:19 +0700, John B. wrote:

replace_vbelts_motor_systemts5.pdf

I've seen "timing belt" used by purveyors of mechanical stuff. The impression I get is that if it's there just to keep things synchronized then it's a "timing belt", but if it's there to transmit serious power then it's a "toothed belt" or "synchronous belt".
Of course, "serious power" in a copier may be ten times lighter weight than a "timing belt" in a heavy diesel engine, but hey -- whatever terminology floats your boat.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

In the Texas oil fields it would be "one of them thangs" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Nope, never heard of an earless pillow block. Could you be thinking of a cartridge? I've used those a long time ago. Otherwise, deep groove ball bearings come lubed and can handle some thrust. I like the SKF site for bearing info.

Yes, a timing belt is an application for a synchronous belt. At that horsepower, I'd start looking at HTD belts. The Gates downloadable catalog is good. I always use the tables, then upsize some. In a synchronous belt, you still end up with a pretty small belt. Which is one reason I use them. Most recently, I used one on the belt grinder I built for my son because I was using a 1:5 ratio, speeding up the output shaft.
PS. I just downloaded and tried Gates Design Flex Pro software. You have to register, but works slick. Try it.
Pete Keillor