Ebay deal on Monarch 10EE

I just spotted this on ebay:

That's half of what I paid for a very similar item. By the time you subtract the value of all the tooling, this lathe is the same price as a horrible frieght lathe.

Somebody, snap this up. I almost bought it just to have a spare.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Dam Karl, nice find. Buffalo is just about 70 miles west of me. I could pick it up if I had a heavy duty trailer. Have the money but it's ear marked for a bigger bill the needs paying. Care to finance me for a couple of months?

Bernd

Reply to
Bernd

Did you miss the one in Oregon a couple weeks ago that went for ~1700?

Reply to
rick

Yes, it sure looks like a steal even at the "buy it now" price. A 10EE is what I was looking for when I found my old Clausing. But I've bought a couple things on ebay, not much, and have never been charged state sales tax. He's saying you have to pay 8.25% NY state tax. Is that because he's a dealer and not a private individual?

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Anyone with a sales tax license has to collect sales tax, whether you deal in that line of goods or not.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Just a little word of caution. I'll preface my comments by saying that I owned a similar 18" X 80" Monarch. I purchased mine in 1985 and thought it was one of the nicest machining engine lathes I've ever owned...and I've owned many over the last 40 years. It was a great machine! But, it was manufactured in 1944. That might seem like a minor difference, but it isn't. The pre-war machines were built to different governmant requirements. Back in the old days, there was an unwritten "rule-of-thumb" to not buy a pre-war machine because of the differences in quality. Since this machine was built in 1941 it would probably fall into the pre-war catagory. Now this would probably be a great machine for home or light duty use, but I would check it carefully if you plan to use it in a business.

I don't want to be a naysayer, but thought a little caution was in order. Good luck,

John

Reply to
John

In case anyone might be interested in a couple more of these lathes, here is an auction in NE Illinois (Maytag plant in Galesburg) that has three different machines in the same general ballpark. The auction is on Oct 27th. It might also be an online auction.

They are on page 13 of the pdf file. The Monarch is the same machine as the one referred to above except it must be older judging by the serial numbers. Two of these machines have taper attachments.

These will probably go pretty cheap unless they want to sell them as a group. Looking at all the big items they're selling I don't imagine there'd be a lot of interest in these little lathes. So if someone lives near the auction you might be able to pick a good buy.

John

Reply to
John

EEs have been going for under $1000 ... considerably less that an equal shape and equally tooled S.B. Heavy Ten.

EEs RULE!

Reply to
Peter H.