OmniTurn on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category%274&item878912803&rd=1
Ive no association with this particular machine or its owner.
Gunner
It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.
(Phil Garding)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category%274&item878912803&rd=1
WOW, big bucks. That's a Hardinge lathe underneath? Or does Omniturn make the entire thing? Looks like way more than just a retrofit. I hadn't paid any attention, I thought Omniturn was a retrofit control.
Karl
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:24:09 GMT, "Karl Townsend"

Geeze...where you been all these years Karl? www.omniturn.com www.omni-turn.com
They make the whole thing. They do make a kit to retrofit many manual machines, most notably Hardinge...but will also do Monarch etc etc.
That particular machine is called the GT-Jr. It has the same running gear, headstock, spindle, ways, servos etc as the bigger GTs..but was designed to be portable on a pallet jack. Need a second ops machine at the end of a Acme Gridly or other turning machine cell? Stick a pallet jack under it and move it to where you need it. This particular machine is extremely popular with plastic shops as there are few guards to get in the way. Very open architecture and yet still is capable of using coolants or high speed chip removal.
Its quite popular even as a primary ops machine, and there are a shitload of them doing medical parts (for example) in guys garages all over the US. Minimal footprint, no need for fancy foundations leveling, power..will run on 208 single phase... Has a 5C spindlenose with 4' camlock taper so you can swing up to a 5" chuck on it. Pretty damned accurate machine and at 5000 rpm at 5hp...beefy enough to make good SS chips. Lots of inconel being cut on these machines.
Thats a fair price he is asking for it, being low time and turnkey tooled.
Think thats expensive? Wanna buy a plain jane Mor Seki? <G>
Gunner
It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.
(Phil Garding)

Expensive, for the hobbiest. Yes.
For someobody in the business, dirt-cheap.
Jim
please reply to:
Gunner,
Off hand do you know the weight diff. between Jr. and Sr? Is there anything Sr. can do that Jr. can't? Flat bed machines or slant?
Pallet jack, eh?? That's perty neat. I don't think the web site mentions this. Been to Omni's web site--kinda spartan; needs more pitchers, views of the inside, dimensions, etc. Unless I just missed alladat...
I know a guy who's looking at GT Sr. and the new Haas "Office Lathe". Anything he should know?
With all these rifle-toting meat-eaters runnin Omniturns, mebbe they could set it for a nice big-assed slow thread and use it as a rotisserie, in between setups'n'shit... I think soluble oil can be used for basting, iffin there's not too much rust-inhibitor in it. ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll
remove .NOT to reply> wrote:

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:45:50 -0500, "Proctologically Violated"

Nope..while one is about 800 or so pounds lighter...they are just about as equally capable. The fullsized machine being completly enclosed makes for a better machine for high pressure coolant, graphite and whatnot.

Both are slant beds The only real difference between them is the size of the foundation machine under the big assed foundation block the actual lathe, ways, headstock and whatnot are mounted on.
try www.omni-turn.com for one of the distributors sites. Im proud of a lot of it <G>

Want a video tape, propaganda materials and all that? Let me know and Ill make sure you get a package. Just make sure Im listed as salesman if you buy one. A commission right now would be a very good thing. Need some dental work...sigh....

I know almost nothing about the Haas, so I cannot speak one way or another. Im sure I can find a couple customers who have em though for opinions. Shrug
Im first and formost a tech, not a sales geek. So Im not good at anything except telling the truth about the goods and bads when it comes to sales.
Lets put it this way...I hooked my lik red wagon to OmniTurn 8-9 yrs ago..stayed with em even during the shitty times...times when others offered to take me on (companies no longer in existance).....and Im still riding for the brand. So it means I think highly of them.
Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.
(Phil Garding)

... I'm sure its a fair price, that's just not the place in the food chain I feed on. I'm down there with the bottom feeders and scrounges. I've heard there's a really good one in California <VBG>
Karl
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:11:41 GMT, "Karl Townsend"

welll.....I probably can find you an SL1 for a grand or so..but its gonna need some work....
Gunner
It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.
(Phil Garding)
Wow, another US machine tool manufacturer I didn't know about that seems to be alive and well, that's a good way to start a Monday morning.
Paul T.

Ayup..been around for a number of years too. Started out in Camarillo California, then built a nice facility up in Port Orford Oregon. Most everyone in the plant is a hunter, or fisherman. Lots of good elk hunting in the area, and the fishing is right nice. Rifle racks are deregure in the pickups in the parking lot. Often filled too.
Made by Good Ol Boys.