how2 avoid rust while storing mild steel ?

I need to store in a shed, a couple of unfinished mild steel items. They are several feet long on each side, until Summer and want to minimize/avoid rust. Since I plan on welding and painting at that time, oil & grease are out.

How might this safely and competently be done, please ?

Thank you, Courtney

Reply to
Courtney Thomas

You could seal them in with plastic sheet and a dehumidifier. I doubt you could get a seal that would allow you to vacuum out the air. Don't leave the bottom open and seal the sides/top, else you will be enclosing them in a miniature greenhouse. Best of luck. John

Reply to
John

Paste wax. Thin it with a bit of mineral spirits and apply with a sprayer or paint brush.

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
RoyJ

Sanchem makes a product called Safegard that prevents rust. There are a few different Safegard products but Safegard Peelcoat is probably the easiest rust preventative to remove. Once dried you can simply peel it off. Believe it or not the Safegard product line is water based.

Politics is not blue & red, it's all the shades of purple in between.

I've got some blue in me and lean towards blue. But I own several guns.

Reply to
TT

So far I'm impressed with LPS3. I built a small work table outside my shop for grinding. It is under the eave, but still gets plenty of moisture. Not a bit of rust so far, just put it up last fall.

Steve western Ma> I need to store in a shed, a couple of unfinished mild steel items.

Reply to
Steve Smith

Then you are rare.

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Reply to
Gunner

Very true..powder coat wont stick either most of the time.

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Reply to
Gunner

Steve:

I would like a little more info LPS3 and does anyone know if it's available in Canada?

Thanks in advance

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

I would think most industrial supply houses would have it. I don't know what the stores are called in your neck of the woods; around here, Grainger or MSC for a start.

Steve

Jimbo wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Ive taken a vow not to talk OT stuff on this newsgroup, out of respect for Sensi Ernie Leimkuhler

Now if you wish to continue it on misc.survivalism or similar..Id be most happy to do so.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

Reply to
Gunner

That's an easy one... I learned how to stop my tools from rusting in my toolbox by simply throwing a 1 inch block of camphor in the toolbox. It will totally evaporate over time but it will put a very fine protective coating on all of your tools. Your tools will not rust. In your case, you will have to cover the metal with something like saran wrap or construction plastic and put the block of camphor inside. You can get blocks of camphor for a buck at your local pharmacy or drug store. Camphor smells like Vicks vaporub.

Reply to
Buy_Sell

Will camphor not, in any way, interfere with welding or painting later ?

If no, what preparation to welding/painting is recommended ?

Thank you, Courtney

Buy_Sell wrote:

Reply to
Courtney Thomas