Chromoly or Mild Steel?

I'm upgrading an old Dragster frame and I have no history on it. What I mean is I don't know if it is made of Mild Steel or Chromoly. My question is: is there any way to do a test to check for Chromoly or Mild Steel?

Thanks Buzz Remove ! from E-Mail to contact. ! snipped-for-privacy@flatheadracing.com

Reply to
Buzz

You could cut a piece out and do a quench test.

Mild steel heated to red heat and quenched in water won't do much but get a little stiffer.

Chrom-moly will get quite brittle.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie,

That makes sense, what I'm trying to avoid in welding Chromoly can tell me the difference.

TNX Buzz Remove ! from E-Mail to contact. ! snipped-for-privacy@flatheadracing.com

Reply to
Buzz