EBay hack

I was going to ask how that went. I'm very glad that someone got use (and cash) out of it. Just too big for my situation.

Probably a good point. As someone else said, the kind of person bidding on machine tools probably won't screw you. Kind of like accepting a check from a total stranger, at a gun show. You just don't get screwed by that sort of person.

Seems reasonable. If you're just selling the sort of stuff I see you mention here, you're not as vulnerable as if you were selling, say, beanie babies.

Last bouncy check I was given was when I was 14 and had a paper route. I learned the "Sorry, you need to pay in advance" game pretty early.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You got $200 for some transistors from a UPS?? I'd love to know what the deal is there. What was the item number?

Reply to
Rex B

Don, are you aware that this auction was advertised on this group? The posting was titled "A Fine St. Patty's Day Metal Item", posted by SteveB on 3/01.

I remember thinking it was an odd thing to flog here, so I followed the link, and thought it even more odd when I saw your bid. It struck me as very strange that someone who enjoys making gold plated versions of common items would choose to buy a couple cookie cutters. The fact that, based on your feedback, you don't do much on ebay made the whole thing seem stranger still. My first reaction was likely to give you a ribbing. I should have followed through.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

It was a big fricking UPS. Had the tech manual here but I think it's been recycled now. Half-refrigerator sized (not the problem) and very loud (was the problem). That and, at the time, the free space in my shop was zero. Now it's just "close to zero".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I sold them privately, that was for IGBT units. The UPSes were very big, the IGBT's were for 150-300 amps.

Ignoramus24806

I have firewalls and I keep XP up to date.

I don't sell old puters. It's more trouble to wipe them and reload Windows than it's worth. It's a laptop, so I'll keep it in case I ever need the mobility.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Yeah, that migh have been fun. Why would I buy stainless cookiecutters for $9.99 when I could spend 3X that on rawstock!

Reply to
Don Foreman

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Dave Hinz wrote back on 15 Mar 2005 18:11:50 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

This might have something to do with them knowing you have guns, and now their address. :-)

"Such a deal, I wouldn't give my own brother!" (To self- "'cause he knows where I live.") From my days in the Casbah.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Good for you Jeff! Glad to hear you got some satisfaction out of such an ordeal. That happens all to infrequently. The sad state of affairs in regards to credit and identity theft means that we all pay the price in the form of higher interest to make up for such fraud.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

I've never really had personal problems with eBay, but I have provided credible and verifiable evidence for cheating seller.... they sorta didn't care what the seller did, but wanted to make sure that the buyer was indeed bound to the terms of the contract.....

Now, I HAVE had a problem with them...... I strongly suggest that if you are a buyer or seller contemplating using PayPal you check out

. My own personal problems with them are described here....
From my personal experience, I really can't recommend PayPal.

Reply to
Gene Kearns

This is pure sillyness... Do you not drive because of the occasional accident on the roads. Of course not! Do you not eat at restaurants because of the occasional food poisoning? Of course not! I've worked with eBay and Paypal both for years without any problems what-so-ever. And there are thousands more that could say the same thing. Can you spell paranoid?

Lane

Reply to
Lane

I can spell..... been there, done that..... PayPal, as far as I am concerned, is more liability than is worthwhile. Certainly, eBay purchases carry some manageable risk, and I, myself, have only been burned once by a crooked seller. PayPal, on the other hand, carries much more liability and is much less manageable than eBay.....

It is a bit of a lottery, just because you number hasn't come up doesn't mean that it won't.....

Truly..... caveat emptor......

Reply to
Gene Kearns

Gene, Of course someone could say the same thing about automobile accidents, or just about any other "bad thing" that someone else has endured. I suppose you wouldn't have flown anywhere just after 9/11 too. I don't understand how people can live in todays world with this kind of paranoia. Isn't life hard enough without thinking everyone is out to get you? Plus, clearly the evidence proves otherwise.

My inlaws will not drive on I5, even after my wife pointed out to them a newspaper article saying that side roads are like 5-10 times more dangerous than freeways.

I clicked on your link in your other post and got a "The page cannot be displayed" error message. So I'm unable to read about your problems with Paypal.

I know that if I've been screwed by PayPal I'd have a different outlook. But just because it happened to one doesn't mean it happens to everyone. This is my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it. Thanks for reading. Lane

Reply to
Lane
[ ... ]

Note that one of the trojans may have installed backdoors in the computer, and thus someone *could* have used your computer to place the bid, in which case, the IP addresses would point to *you*.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

If it does, it does. I'd still like to know.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Will adaware find the trojans? IF not what does find them?

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

It finds most if not all of them. I'll run an adaware scan before I run an antivirus scan, just because it's quicker.

AVG antivirus is good, free, and very configurable.

Dave Hinz

What, no one around here remembers Babin?

jk

Reply to
jk

Heh. It's not clear he knew how to write...

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

only free for the first month.