eBay prices tanked

Shhh! Don't tell them. The paranoid gun nutz are going to be a big help in spending us out of this recession. They'll buy wall-to-wall shootin' irons and a basement full of ammo. Well, not actually a *basement*, in Gunner's case, but you get the idea. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

600 rounds for the .380 and 2000 for my rifle, Ed.

But I bought most of that quite a while back.

I don't really think I need much more.

:)

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

I've bought things on Christmas night that went way cheap. I like to check Ebay for bargains on holidays when people might be busy doing other things.

The current economy has to have an effect on prices as Iggy said.

We may have sellers that didn't want to sell but need the money. Buyers in fear of their jobs don't want to spend much on things they don't really need. Ebay is filled with things we want but don't actually need ;)

Then there is a really twisted situation in my life, after laying off 1/3 of the plant we are all working OT to make shipping schedules so in this down time, I'm a bit more flush and able to buy. I doubt that one is happening for most.

I think that Wild_Bill and Iggy are both right. Like the market right now, it is a buyers opportunity on Ebay.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Joe Bidden, next in line in succession and having the ear of the President. Almost as bad as having Chuck Schumer, Indy Bank toppler (election timing) and over all gun grabber, as Veep. I hope nothing happens to the current President during his term.

Somehow unlike our English brothers in other nations, I don't think we are going to turn our arms over because some tin pot dictator is worried that the Second Amendment might be his undoing. That Constitution, a pesky thing for those that don't believe in freedom for the masses.

Wes

Wes

Not much difference as long as the army follows a politician instead of the Constitution ;(

nick hull

Indeed. Military to Pledge Oath To Obama, Not Constitution Published: Jan 29, 2009 Author: Michele Chang Post Date: 2009-01-29 10:38:14

Defense Robert Gates is extremely frustrated with orders that the White House is contemplating. According to sources at the Pentagon, including all branches of the armed forces, the Obama Administration may break with a centuries-old tradition.

A spokesman for General James Cartwright, the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, states that the Obama Administration wants to have soldiers and officers pledge a loyalty oath directly to the office of the President, and no longer to the Constitution.

"The oath to the Constitution is as old as the document itself." the spokesman said, "At no time in American history, not even in the Civil War, did the oath change or the subject of the oath differ. It has always been to the Constitution."

The back-and-forth between the White House and the Defense Department was expected as President George W. Bush left office. President Obama has already signed orders to close Guantanamo and to pull combat troops from Iraq. But, this, say many at the Defense Department, goes to far.

"Technically, we can't talk about it before it becomes official policy." the spokesman continued. "However, the Defense Department, including the Secretary, will not take this laying down. Expect a fight from the bureaucracy and the brass."

Sources at the White House had a different point of view. In a circular distributed by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, the rationale for the change was made more clear. "The President feels that the military has been too indoctrinated by the old harbingers of hate: nationalism, racism, and classism. By removing an oath to the American society, the soldiers are less likely to commit atrocities like those at Abu Ghraib."

"We expect a lot of flak over this," ! the clas sified memo continues. "But those that would be most against it are those looking either for attention or control."

The time frame for the changes are unknown. However, it is more likely that the changes will be made around the July 4th holiday, in order to dampen any potential backlash. The difference in the oath will actually only be slight. The main differences will be the new phrasing. It is expected that the oath to the Constitution will be entirely phased out within two years. "

Frankly I think this is bogus, but...it never hurts to look into it.

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him, nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What was it MacArthur called the President?

The Temporary Occupant of the White House?

Reply to
cavelamb

e >

But they are not identical gauges. They are different manufacturers. Sure they perform the same function. If someone needed one for say a correct restoration of an old steam engine only the correct original would do. That could explain the price difference. Also if someone collects gauges (I'm sure they are out there) it could be a rarer one. Take for example wood planes. They all perform the same basic task but some go for $10000,00 dollars while others you can't get $20.00 for. Not saying that's why just saying it could.

Reply to
Jesse

Sounds like a fictional updating of the events of Aug 2, 1934, when the German military was required to take an oath of loyalty to Adolf Hitler, personally, instead of to the Government or Nation. (That was a contributing factor to why Valkyrie wasn't implemented until 1944 - it took that long for people who took their oaths seriously to overcome their reluctance.)

Anyway, I doubt that such a thing would occur here. On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of Germans in 1934 never expected things to go the way they eventually did.

Bozhimoi.

pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Behfel ist behfel, nein?

Gunner "Not so old as to need virgins to excite him, nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Godwin, Damit!

Reply to
cavelamb

Sure you don't mean "God wins!"?

pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Tue, 03 Feb 2009 11:17:21 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Ja. the problem is that in this country, there isn't the same "reverence" put on oaths as their were in the old country. One of the underplayed points of Valkyrie is that COL Claus Philipp Maria Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg is of an old Aristocratic Family, and a deeply Catholic one at that. They take such things seriously. Still do. I'm not so sure about American Protestants :-)

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Not at the moment... (although He usually does - it's that whole Supreme Being thing)

No, I meant Godwin... As in

cavelamb

Go here:

Scroll down and note how many times troops were deployed on US soil.

Reply to
Bill Marrs

Nein!

Befehl ist befehl :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Actually, I was wrong. I looked up my archives and found out that the sale price on Jul 3, 2008, was $283.88, not $240.

Ignoramus14358

I'm going to disagree. The current members of the military joined in bad times on their own volition. They were not drafted so they are for the most part, living to an ideal of what is right and proper.

I'll keep my trust in their keeping the faith,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I saw a cartoon, have a copy somewhere, of Goring talking about how it seemed impossible for Adolf to have gone more than fifteen minutes into a conversation without mentioning Godwin. "It was like a law. We called it 'Hitler's law'. "

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich
[ ... ]

Hmm ... three things which could have affected the eBay price:

1) The range. The 200 PSI ones are perhaps less common than the 400 PSI ones. 2) The white on black might be more collectible than the black on white ones. (I would personally prefer that just for better readability if I were in the market for one of that size.) 3) The fact that the one which you sold did not have a legend on it "First Cooler" to make it less suitable in some other application such are restoration where an incorrect legend might make it far more unsuitable than one with no legend.

BTW I like your way of showing the size in the first photo. :-)

Maybe not gone for long.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols