Eco-fee - OT rant

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't know what brand they are, but I did buy them at the Home Despots.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Part of what you don't get is that birds are warm-blooded.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Gerald Miller wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 01:01:12 -0400:

I found that it I can get the dump (now transfer station) to take many things that they say they won't with a few minutes work with a sawzall. They don't take large appliances, but they will take steel scrap and electric motors. They won't take furniture, but they will take wood, cloth, and foam rubber. Etc.

Reply to
dan

Security issues, I don't want a light that reacts to perimeter penetration, I don't want the BG to come close in the first place.

No clue, this was a while ago.

In my experience, lights left on last longer than lights turned on and off often.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Oops, brain fart, corrected.

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Much of this seemingly arbitrary behaviour stems from the contract that your municipality has with whatever organization is downstream. My town recently changed recycling contractors, and they will now take ANY paper or cardboard, ANY glass, ANY plastic and ANY metal (though not appliances), ALL MIXED TOGETHER. I know there are machines that can do some of the separation automatically, but I assume there are minimum-wage people lined up along a conveyor belt picking through a lot of this.

Reply to
rangerssuck

OK. Propose something different. And, are you saying that ANYTHING that needs to be "enforced by government arms" is not a viable idea? Seriously?

Reply to
rangerssuck

The local government is in to it because they were bribed by the federal government. Sorta like how seat belt and 0.08 BAL were forced through by the feds taxing in state sales of gasoline and distributing the money, less administrative costs, and other factors back to the states.

Wes

Wes

rangerssuck wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Tue, 12 Oct 2010 06:46:06 -0700 (PDT):

That happened here too, cans and plastic bottles together, and all paper together..

Probably. But I still wonder why you can't leave a washer, dryer, stove or dishwasher, but you can cut them up into three or four pieces and they are happy to take them. Refrigerators and window AC units I can understand, freon and all.

Reply to
dan

You must live in a wierd place. Our local transfer stations have a large concrete pad to leave applainces. The county picks them up intact, and hauls them to a local recycler who pays them by the pound for 'Mixed metals'.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, I apparently misread. I didn't say "recycling isn't viable." I said that solar and wind aren't really viable alternatives to the current fossil fuels, or to nuclear energy, which is so wrapped up in liberal NIMBY red tape that it's not even _allowed_ to prove itself, as it is doing in Japan and France, and even the US Navy has some nuclear powered ships.

Heck, I think they should sell plastic grocery bags at the checkout - that'd be a monetary incentive to recycle them, and the money could go to support the inmates cleaning up the beaches for "community service."

I used to voluntarily recycle my beer cans, but at the time they were buying them at 85 cents a pound. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Professional AGW D

Because the "cut them up" part is too much like work.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Professional AGW D

Rich Grise, Professional AGW Denialist wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:13:44 -0700:

I don't know about that. All the metal is left next to a large open top container, and when the pile gets big enough, they take a front end loader and drop it into the container. I think it's some kind of racket. They must be extorting money somehow.

Reply to
dan

Maybe I wasn't completely clear (or maybe you weren't). The system they have put in place here mixes together all of the recyclables. The paper is mixed with the cans & bottles.

Here, they do appliances on special, twice a year, bulk pickup days. But virtually all of the new appliance dealers will take the old one away at no charge when they deliver the new appliance.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I don't want to pay for someone to deliver, if I can get a lathe and mill home from hundreds of miles away, I can get a fridge or sofa home just fine. Free delivery is not free. The most expensive things in life are often claimed to be free.

Washers and dryers are welcome at the scrap metal dealer near most communities. Heck, they even pay you to give it to them.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

rangerssuck wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Wed, 13 Oct 2010 17:03:34 -0700 (PDT):

You were clear. I was just saying that my system combined some items together that were previously kept separate. Not as much as your system though.

Reply to
dan