Economy and garage sales

There has been a significant decline in local garage sales both in their number and in the quality of the stuff available compared with previous years. Is this happening elsewhere? It seems like there was a lag of about a year before the economy woes filtered down to the street level.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

I think it all has to do with the waves and ripples of the WW II vets passing on. They came back to a country with ideas and want to fix and do at home.

Martin

Michael Koblic wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

It's still a little early to tell, but I did OK Saturday - Channel Lock ignition pliers and a new slightly abused Marples 1" wood chisel with the original plastic guard for $1, 154 feet of 1/4" reinforced vinyl air hose for $2, Electric knife for SWMBO $1, High quality caulking gun with $6.99 price sticker still attached $1. Only problem with the air hose is that I now need a garden hose reel, it is too awkward to handle it otherwise and I don't want to cut it into shorter lengths. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

There are some good garage sales around.

I visited one garage sale recently. I brought home three truck fulls of stuff from there, last one being yesterday. If anyone needs welding gas tanks, screw, press, welders, parts washers, let me know how many you want. I will go there again, it is kind of a big garage sale. (hangar sized)

Ignoramus11457

Lots of folks around here just setting up where there's vacant land or parking lots with boxes of stuff and racks of clothes. No way of telling if it's hot stuff, unused goods, current closet and drawer contents or what. Apparently, no garages. In this town, you're supposed to get a permit first, don't think any of these have done that.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I would agree that the number and quality of garage sales has declined, but an educated picker can still do okay. I went to look at some corrugated steel today, thirty pieces ten feet long for $3 each, and ended up with that, a Dexter two drum washing machine, a heavy drum cement mixer made out of old cast, two RR ties, and a 16' telephone pole for $200.

The Dexter goes for $250 on ebay. We're going to use it for an ice tub for drinks on the patio when it doesn't have potted plants in it. Will go get it Friday. The damn thing looks so good it might even work, and then I will have to decide if I want to put it on the market for $300.

Also picked up a 2004 Polaris 400 Sportsman with 804 miles on it. The camo one with the racks. $2500. Put that puppy on the back of my truck and brought it home.

Deals are out there, and I got these by placing WANTED ads. You get the people before they put it on the market, because when they do, if you're not the first one there, you miss it.

A few weeks ago, a relative wanted us to buy some antiques for Gilley's restaurant in Las Vegas. We ran around and located several thousand dollars of cowboy stuff for them. Believe me, there are still lots of deals out there, and people are soft on prices. Very soft. Very, very, soft. Cash in hand talks. People listen.

HTH

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus11457 fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:23:14 -0500:

If only you were closer. I need to get a second 80cf argon bottle.

Reply to
dan

Lots of folks around here just setting up where there's vacant land or parking lots with boxes of stuff and racks of clothes. No way of telling if it's hot stuff, unused goods, current closet and drawer contents or what. Apparently, no garages. In this town, you're supposed to get a permit first, don't think any of these have done that.

Stan

Most communities call it a "peddler's license", and the office that sells them is closed on weekends. Hence, little enforcement, unless someone sets up those huge rug displays week after week. But you notice, it's almost always on the weekend. Most cops and even ordinance enforcers are too busy to bust someone trying to just make a few bucks.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

.. you did pretty good ...

And when my cash does not "talk", I walk. Works for me. Big welding gas tanks for $10 apiece, piles of Snapon 3/4 and 1" drive sockets for $20 etc, work out OK.

Ignoramus11457

I have learned that garage sales are just like ebay. There will be another widget along shortly, and probably for less. I haggle ruthlessly, and if I can't make at least double my money or more, I don't mess with it. My time is worth more than that.

I could be fishing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

In a later message you mention 3/4 drive tools. Any breaker bars and extensions in 3/4"

How about 1/16" 6011 rod?

Any machineable rod / rod for welding cast iron?

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

aplenty

no

plenty of machinable cast iron rod and I mean it very seriously. Nickel 99. I even used some. Works great.

Ignoramus22435

How much for a breaker bar, 6 & 12" extensions? Would they fit in a flat rate box?

That for sure would fit in a flat rate box. How much are you asking for the rod, Is it 1/8"?

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

$15 for a breaker bar and I have to see what extensions I have. It is a T handled bar.

definitely not

1/8 and 5/32. $20/lb
Reply to
Ignoramus15135

It would be nice to have, but with the shipping, it puts it a little higher than I'd want to pay for a pound, when I don't have an immediate need. Thanks for the quote any way.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

THATS what I forgot...damn

Ive got some 6011 and some 6013 , 1/16" rod for you. Send me a mailing address.

How much you need? 10lbs of each?

Gunner

Damn..still forgetting stuff. May have some Ni99 rod as well

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch