electric fencer

Larry Jaques wrote:

It looks like I have 22 of his books around here in the TBR inventory. "Into the Looking Glass" is one of them.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 21:48:23 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Ghost is still my favorite. Wun Wild and Wonderful series, wot?
Larry Niven, David Drake, and David Weber are three more authors whose entire works should be read. True Gods of SciFi.
--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.

Read 'em all, Mikey! You'll love them.
--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
Larry Jaques wrote:

I did.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 07:48:40 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Techs do what engineers can't even dream of.
13:46:44 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    And after you sued the 1/8" brass tubing, too. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Had to sue. It claimed it was 1/2" copper pipe. :)

    For only 20 sets, the custom cutter stack for a horizontal mill would probably not be worth the time and the custom grinding..

    I used the horizontal mill and an index head to make a replacement gear for use inside a differential vertical plugin. I think that I posted a web page about the project a couple of years ago. :-)
    If he is stripping a frame to make each, he probably would need the front and rear panels too. The front is likely an injection molding, but the rear is pretty simple sheet metal work, IIRC.

    Well ... the QA stamp could be forged, too. :-)
    The empty chassis for the TM-500 plugins would be a nice starting point, except that they are not long enough. (I considered using one (which I have) to make a test extender for the 'scope mainframe, and this is how I know this.
    Custom machined parts would offer him a better choice of mounting certain parts -- such as those which need heat-sinking.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Are you a member of the Yahoo TekScopes group? Some of the people there were engineers at Tektronix.
Here is a Wiki about tektronix products:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Main_Page#Carts
Here is a nice collection of Tektronix manuals.
<https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7w5p5pSKM5gRFhTY2V0SlNSRVE/edit

    [ ... ]

    Nope! I dislike web-based fora, and particularly yahoo groups. (I've got a lot of that blocked from people trying to subscribe me to groups without my agreement. :-)

    Not sure whether I have that one in my collection of sources or not. Lots of downloaded, printed, and comb-bound manuals. Lots of wear on the HP 4600dn printer. :-) (And lots of opinions about different formatting practices in offering scanned manuals. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

    [ ... ]

    Great!
    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... without checking mine out, I think that it could be possible to set up a stack of cutters on the arbor of a horizontal spindle mill, and make the necessary shape in one pass with long stock. Then you *might* need to flip it over and mill the inside cavities.
    I forget whether there is perforated metal in holes through the rails. If so -- a bit more milling after flipping it over, and CNC would be the winner there.
    And of course, it could all be done with CNC. But with enough of them to be made I think that a horizontal mill would win hands down, at least for the bottom profile.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Page 144 of this manual shows the way they are made. Without one in hand, it's the best reference that I can give you right now.
<http://bama.edebris.com/download/tek/7b85/Tektronix-7B85%20Delaying%20Time%20Base.pdf
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

<http://bama.edebris.com/download/tek/7b85/Tektronix-7B85%20Delaying%20Time%20Base.pdf
Sorry, that's a different manual for the same item.
<https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7w5p5pSKM5gRFhTY2V0SlNSRVE/edit?docId 7w5p5pSKM5gWGRwdEFIaDUwZmc>

    O.K. You mean *pdf* page 151? The clickable links stop at about page 119 as shown by xpdf. Same page number in acrobat reader.
    I wish the BAMA folks would fix the filenames so they don't have embedded spaces. A pain to fix. :-)
    Anyway -- the basic part is pretty simple -- just a different groove width for the bottom vs the top (for the pull latch).
    The most difficult part would be the grooves in the edges which are sort of like this (edge pointing up for ease of ASCII drawing):
|\ /| | | | | | ( ) | | |
    This serves both to hold the snap-in side panels, and serves for the screws to thread into to hold the end plates in place.
    The groove and the angled lead-in would be easy to do with a stack of three cutters on a horizontal mill (one pass for each side), but the rounded bottom would probably have to be done with something like a large dental burr -- and lots of coolant squirted down the groove.
    Aside from that -- the pattern of the rectangular holes in the top can vary somewhat -- depending on whether clearance is needed for controls at the very top of the front panel. (This based on examination of only two examples -- a single-channel vertical plugin, and the text formatter for the logic analyzer.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

><http://bama.edebris.com/download/tek/7b85/Tektronix-7B85%20Delaying%20Time%20Base.pdf

It would only need to be round for about 1/2 to 3/4" for the screws. You might be able to do that with a short bit & a good drill press.

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    I was thinking that until I realized that the side panels need at least the outer half of the round part for the edges to snap into. And those occur at several points along the side panels.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
snipped-for-privacy@embarqmail.com says...

Yeah, a 6 Joule unit will get your attention if it hits you!
I have a partial schematic for a smaller Parmak. Parmak uses a somewhat more complicated metering circuit than some. One turn of wire around the outside of the output transformer connects to a circuit consisting of a rectifier, followed by an opamp integrator and meter driver.
If you are comfortable working on the circuit I'll be glad to send a copy of the metering circuit. Although it's from a different model it's likely to be quite similar except for a few component values. It would be quick and easy to check the diodes, meter movement and most of the caps and resistors without disconnecting anything.
Your test unit should work, but of course you have to go up and connect it each time you check the fence. In my experience, the cheap test units with multiple neon lights indicating voltage are good to check the output, but won't last if left connected permanetly.
Be glad you have deer and not elk to keep out. The elk around here will go through a 6 wire high tensile fence as if it wasn't there, hot or not. They seem to prefer to bust through even if the fence is low enough to jump.
WayneJ
Jon Elson wrote:

Make sure to clean the body oil off them, and that you don't exceed the rated voltage for each resistor.
On 6/11/2013 6:26 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Is that to keep stray cats away? (Word must have gotten out among the cat community.)

This is for my very large rats with hooves. (deer) Takes a SERIOUS pop to tell them not to come back.
I also use it around the sweet corn patch for the masked bandits (racoons)
Karl