electric fencer

See if this helps:

" I am somewhat troubled by this thread as I myself have sometimes day-dreamed about some sort of teleport device that could lift a modern nuclear submarine into space.

But I also recall that Zack Hughes sci-fi novel "For Texas and Zed" involved exactly such a device and perhaps they even lofted nuclear submarines into space in that book. As I also recall, no one would believe this Texas guy had invented a teleport device so he installed it in a 1956 Buick and hovered himself over the Pentagon.

Just imagine how much daughter radiation would enter a modern nuclear submarine if in deep space, subjected to cosmic rays and the like. Could be like wearing a lead codpiece. Wrap that submarine in several feet of Bigelow fabric.

= = =

After further thought, I am beginning to believe Zack Hughes did use that plot device -- its the Billy Bob Blink drive, invented by a mechanic in Texas and yes ( IIRC ) the US Navy starts tele-porting submarines into space. :)

I could be wrong, so I'll go buy a used copy of the book and re-read it. And submit a book report. « Last Edit: 01/26/2009 05:05 AM by Bill White » "

--------------------------------------

That is a straight copy from:

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

I found several of his books, online. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 08 Dec 2014

00:46:15 -0500 typed >> >> > An old Sci-Fi book made fun of that when the first FTL engine was

And then there is the series "Into the Looking Glass" by Ringo. We get a "little black box" and figure a way to make a warp drive out of it. Which then gets installed in a converted boomer ... "hilarity ensues".

pyotr filipivich

A _most_ entertaining series, as is each and every one of Ringo's. Crom Bless Mrs. Ringo for giving the world that particular writer.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Read 'em all, Mikey! You'll love them.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I did.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

He's also so popular that most libraries have full sets of his books.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A _most_ entertaining series, as is each and every one of Ringo's. Crom Bless Mrs. Ringo for giving the world that particular writer.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Read 'em all, Mikey! You'll love them.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Then there is John Ringo's Looking Glass series

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child, miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." PJ O'Rourke

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I did.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hear Hear!!!

For those of you that are unfamiliar with John Ringo....you will likely LOVE his stuff.

Some of it is SciFi....others..not so easily explained...but its warrior stuff. Hard core, gritty, funny, insightful and fun to read.

He is proflific.....

Check Baens free library...some of his books are free downloads...though a simply google search will turn up all of his books as free downloads...pirated copies of course...but...

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child, miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." PJ O'Rourke

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child, miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." PJ O'Rourke

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It looks like I have 22 of his books around here in the TBR inventory. "Into the Looking Glass" is one of them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ghost is still my favorite. Wun Wild and Wonderful series, wot?

Larry Niven, David Drake, and David Weber are three more authors whose entire works should be read. True Gods of SciFi.

Reply to
Larry Jaques