Is "The Kid" related to Iggy

My son just got a free 15" southbend from grandpa just for coming to visit. Dad tossed in a 12" bench grinder, and a small pickup load of tools, and a real nice monster wench. No small trip - MN to NM - 2K miles.

Then "The Kid" just won this auction

Now he's surfing fleabay for a couple VFDs.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Kinky

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I am extremely envious!

Reply to
Ignoramus5948

Ignoramus5948 fired this volley in news:-_WdnR8jIdDWLSrMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You would only be if you were re-selling the machine.

He'll LOVE it until he gets familiar with that old BP conversion head. I used to have one similar -- a Cinci#2 with the same head.

then... eh... BTDT. I have a number of 'wasted' tools with built-on MT2 tapers I need to shuck.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Why a couple of VFDs? You'll never use the hor and vert spindles at the same time so one VFD will do fine for both.

Reply to
Pete C.

I actually did pretty well over the weekend. I got a 1942 vintage 6x18 Norton surface grinder with hydraulic traverse and cross feed, a Brown and Sharp mag chuck, a large selection of wheels and arbors, 5C spin indexer, diamond dresser on a B&S mag base, small coolant pump/tank unit, some assorted 1/2 and 1/4 Loc-Line components, a Precise S 65 high speed spindle (needs collets and collet nut), two DuMont Minuteman keyway broach sets, a chucking reamer set, a tub of assorted slotting and slitting saws and a big box of assorted aluminum hunks 1/4"-3" thick or so.

Reply to
Pete C.

Going to use both at the same time? :)

Reply to
Pete C.

"The Kid" and I agree, a BP is just a glorified drill press. But they sure are handy for a quick slot or something minor. He won't expect much more out of this unit. He did just con me out a complete set of R8 tooling for it.

His work will be selling off a low hours Haas VF2 with rotary table and touch probe this fall. That will be his goto CNC machine.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

One is for the southbend lathe.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A BP conversion head with R8 spindle taper?? REALLY?

Hmmm... I wonder if someone re-worked it (somehow... I don't see how there's enough meat in that spindle to do that).

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

sounds like Iggy best get going, he's got competition for best scrounger.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Don't give him any ideas. I'll be wiring these up with For/Off/Rev switch and a speed pot.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Heh, I spent about $1,400 including diesel to go get it. If Iggy got it he'd spend that much but it would all come pre-loaded in a nice box truck with lift gate and low miles included in the deal.

Reply to
Pete C.

Huh? It's a 1J head, most were R8, like mine. You could also get quick-switch and NMTB30. Maybe you are thinking of the M head, which had a MUCH smaller quill and spindle, and B&S #7 and MT3 were common tapers, also Bridgeport's own C taper. That certainly could not be made to take R8.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sounds fun.

Ignoramus5948

They simlpy put a regular BP head on a different body.

Looks funny, but works, likely, better than the original.

Ignoramus5948

I have a Kempsmith mill very similar to that, with the Bridgeport head on the overarm. I think my table is 12 X 50 if I remember correctly. They seem descent, have thrust bearings on table X direction, power feed on all 3 axis. Mine has a gearbox and motor on top for the horizontal mill part, it's 7.5HP. So I have 7.5HP power feed for my 1 HP Bridgeport head. I've used the horizontal mill with and end mill in it before, kind of slow turning but it does the job.

You can also look on "driveswarehouse.com" for VFD's, just to make sure what you're seeing on eBay isn't overpriced. Also, the drive I have, Allen Bradley 160, isn't listed as running on single phase for the model I have, but it does just fine. It will even allow me to switch the motor on and off while the drive is running at 60Hz without faulting out.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Hey, we all get great deals, good deals, and not so good deals, myself included. What's important is

1) Always pay not more than market price for what you need 2) Always pay a lot less than the market price for stuff to be resold 3) Not to have way too much stuff that it impedes movement or cash flow

You will get great use of that grinder.

Ignoramus5948

Jon Elson fired this volley in news:haCdnRDg_

697ayrMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yep. I read the description, and guess I just assumed "M" head.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ignoramus5948 fired this volley in news:Pp6dnfUrAMZMzyXMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

No, not really, Ig. The conversion heads were specifically designed to fit the overarm of horizontal mills, in order to make them become vertical mills. They not only 'look odd', they have some unfortunate off-axis torquing that can make them unsuitable for high milling forces. (Never had big enough motors, anyway, because the mounting system had to hold the motor, too)

That's not quite the same as putting Li'l Abner's face on Dick Tracy's body.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh