Is "The Kid" related to Iggy

My son just got a free 15" southbend from grandpa just for coming to visit. Dad tossed in a 12" bench grinder, and a small pickup load of
tools, and a real nice monster wench. No small trip - MN to NM - 2K miles.
Then "The Kid" just won this auction http://auctions.machinesused.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum 6984426
Now he's surfing fleabay for a couple VFDs.
Karl
On 6/11/2013 6:35 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Kinky

Chuckle!
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing! ;-)
Harold
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 05:48:14 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"

How much worse is that in the morning than waking up to Coyote Ugly? I've only met one double bagger in my life. (That's where you put a bag over her head when taking her to bed, and putting another one on yourself, JUST in case hers comes off.)
--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.

I tried to avoid the urge to gnaw off an arm after waking up in the morning---did that by being selective when I was between wives. #2, the current Mrs., has been a real gem. A definite keeper. 36 years this month.
Harold
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 06:25:18 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"

Slow learner, wot?

Congrats, 'Arry.
--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.

I am extremely envious!

You would only be if you were re-selling the machine.
He'll LOVE it until he gets familiar with that old BP conversion head. I used to have one similar -- a Cinci#2 with the same head.
then... eh... BTDT. I have a number of 'wasted' tools with built-on MT2 tapers I need to shuck.
Lloyd
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 18:36:04 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

"The Kid" and I agree, a BP is just a glorified drill press. But they sure are handy for a quick slot or something minor. He won't expect much more out of this unit. He did just con me out a complete set of R8 tooling for it.
His work will be selling off a low hours Haas VF2 with rotary table and touch probe this fall. That will be his goto CNC machine.

A BP conversion head with R8 spindle taper?? REALLY?
Hmmm... I wonder if someone re-worked it (somehow... I don't see how there's enough meat in that spindle to do that).
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Huh? It's a 1J head, most were R8, like mine. You could also get quick-switch and NMTB30. Maybe you are thinking of the M head, which had a MUCH smaller quill and spindle, and B&S #7 and MT3 were common tapers, also Bridgeport's own C taper. That certainly could not be made to take R8.
Jon

They simlpy put a regular BP head on a different body.
Looks funny, but works, likely, better than the original.

No, not really, Ig. The conversion heads were specifically designed to fit the overarm of horizontal mills, in order to make them become vertical mills. They not only 'look odd', they have some unfortunate off-axis torquing that can make them unsuitable for high milling forces. (Never had big enough motors, anyway, because the mounting system had to hold the motor, too)
That's not quite the same as putting Li'l Abner's face on Dick Tracy's body.
LLoyd
On 2013-06-12, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

OK, I finally understood what you are talking about.
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

And, most of those WERE M heads, I think. They are MUCH lighter than the J head, no power feed, no back gear, but you got higher speeds with 6 belt grooves. I upgraded my round-ram M head machine to a 1J head, and while it is a true Frankenstein hack, it works a LOT better!
Jon

Yep. I read the description, and guess I just assumed "M" head.
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

The M head may have been pretty good in 1938, but I had a lot of trouble with poor stiffness. The J head (although mine is QUITE beat) is just WAY stiffer. You really can tell the difference when using a boring head, but otherwise it still helps.
Jon
Karl Townsend wrote:

Why a couple of VFDs? You'll never use the hor and vert spindles at the same time so one VFD will do fine for both.

One is for the southbend lathe.
Karl Townsend wrote:

Going to use both at the same time? :)