Just got the new LF series Maxstar

What a dream. TOTALLY different power supply. While running a bead, it buzzes moderately loudly at what '''sounds like''' a 60hz square wave (NCHTone.exe), rather than a fast light beepy-crinkly sound. Runs aluminum stick perfectly. Runs wet 1/8" 7018 at 60 amps like runny toothpaste (this is good). Flux pops itself off nonetheless. HUGE puddle at 60 amps on a piece of 1" plate. This welder actually 'controls' the weld. Its just like having a brain in a box. (Miller may be on to something here, it might one day start a trend). An order of magnitude better, or two, in the 'intelligence' of the device itself. If you don't own an LF 010173+ 150, buy one.

Reply to
Ben Woodward

FWIW its an STH model. Miller customer service has been EXTREMELY helpful. A lot of thanks to Mark Cadillac and Dave Fischer at Miller for bending over backwards to help me out with this. That's why I buy Miller, the customer service is second to none.

Reply to
Ben Woodward

to each their own. the ESAB guys down in S.C. helped me out when i needed helpin', they were top notch.

Reply to
Kryptoknight