Maxstar STL??

--What's the difference between the STL and the DX? The guy at the welding shop didn't seem to know (go figure...), but the 150 STL is on sale for lest than $1.2k until the end of the month and it sounded like a heckuva deal.. I'm looking to upgrade from an Econotig and I'm needing pulser and the ability to throttle down to 1 amp..

Reply to
steamer

tomcas

Maxstars have no AC, they are DC only.

There is no Maxstar 150DX there is a S (bare bones Stick/TIG)

, and STL (some bells and whistles TIG/Stick)

and a STH (all the bells and whistles TIG/Stick)

There is a Maxstar 200 and 300 DX and a Dynasty 200 and 300 DX.

There is also a Syncrowave 250 DX

If you don't want to go for teh Thermal arc 185TSW,

then go for a Syncrowave 200

Or maybe even a Lincoln PrecisionTIG 185

Ernie Leimkuhler

--Yikes! Too much info! :-) Looks like upgrading from Econotig to the 150STL ain't worth it. Maybe a better question, assuming I keep the Econotig and that I'm not needing AC (decided that a while back): what's the difference between the Maxstar 200DX and the Dynasty200DX; i.e. what sort of DC situations would require the Dynasty and exclude the Maxstar? I think what I'm aiming at is a welder with a pulser, that I can lug around without getting a hernia...

Reply to
steamer

steamer wrote in news:44b49fdf$0$34517$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

The maxstar 200DX has both pulsar and sequencer built in. If you don't need AC the there is no reason for the Dynasty. You save about $600 - $800 depending on vendor.

I believe that the only other thing that the Dynasty offers is the ability to store a few welding procedures. The 200DX only holds the last one used

HTH

Von

200DX owner for 4 years and very happy with it.
Reply to
Von Pearsall

The only thing a Dynasty 200DX has over the Maxstar 200DX, in regards to DC, is that the Dynasty can store presets.

The Maxstar has a higher duty cycle.

The Maxstar can do aluminum using DCEP, but it is limited to about 1/8" max.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

--Thanks, gang. Bottom line: I'm going to pass on the STL and hold out for the Maxstar DX. Dynasty would be nice but it'll have to wait until I win the lottery!

Reply to
steamer