save a copy as STL is not available

Hello,

In Pro engineer Wildfire, we opened a STEP file, which we tried to save as an STL. However, we noticed some of the parts were missing. Upon opening these parts individually, we noticed that under "File - Save a Copy", the STL format is not available.

We have no idea why for certain files the Save a Copy as STL is available and for others it is not.

The problem is we don't have any experience with Pro Engineer (our Pro Engineer guy left), we just use it to view STP files and export them to STL.

Does anybody know why saving as STL is not available (perhaps there are many reasons, but if we know the underlying reason, we might be able to trace the problem ourselves)

Thanks, Ward

Reply to
wardusenet

STL is available for "solid" models only (? closed quilts need not apply?).

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Jeff,

thanks for the answer. Indeed, the surface of this parts appear to be 'quilts'.

Is there an easy way to transfer these objects into "solid" models (e.g. by merging the quilts, or closing the quilts etc.)? Or is that a stupid question (again, very limited knowled of ProEngineer)

Ward

Reply to
wardusenet

------------------------------

Not sure I'm the right guy to answer that. It's not real simple and there are a lot of variables involved that affect import and repair-ability, few "one size fit's all" solutions. Not so hard to do once you get the hang of it, hard to explain, tho'.

Wireframe display; joined quilt edges display as blue, open quilt edges magenta, solid edges white.

Select the Import Feature, RMB, Edit Definition. Menu: Edit, Feature Properties. Check Make Solid, Ok.

If there are still open edges try Menu: Geometry, Heal Geometry, Automatic. This is iffy, but sometimes works well (depends on problems types, surface types, ...) That failing try doing a Manual Healing; Zip Gaps, etc. Make Solid before quitting Edit Def mode.

If healing won't do the job then you'll have to resort to creating new geometry to stitch into the quilt. You can exclude and hide individual quilts on layers or delete them (to get the offending objects out of the way).

If you can't get something working and model size, IP sensitivity issues, etc. don't preclude doing so you might explain your situation on mcadcentral.com's Pro/E forum where you can post the data sets. There's usually someone that's willing to give a problem a whirl. (Let 'em know what version WF you are using.)

Also wondering if, in the long run, it wouldn't be a better deal to just ship off the bad one's as STEP or IGES and let them do the STL conversions or import into a software you are familiar with and work 'em.

Reply to
Jeff Howard