Electric Pencil

Free online plans:

or input edison, electric-pencil into a search box

Suitable for marking metal by the arcing principle. Will work from a six-volt lantern battery.

Mike Mandaville

Reply to
MikeMandaville

I have a electric etcher with a tungsten tip... These are nice for marking tools...

Ignoramus720

Shabtai Evan

I have a electric etcher with a tungsten tip... These are nice for marking tools...

Does it throw an arc, or does it work by hammering the point into the metal? I know that there are some "Poor Man's Plans" for the hammering type also, and I think that either one would make for a very fun project.

Reply to
MikeMandaville

t makes an arc.

Ignoramus720

"Wow, I made one of these things in junior high metal shop almost 40 years ago. Did I say that?"

Congratulations, young man. I must have been in high school at about that time :-)

The Edison pencil, if built as shown, is evidently good for the softer metals, such as aluminum or copper, though since I have a transformer which can deliver twelve volts at eight amps, I'm guessing that I will be able to mark tools with my version.

Mike Mandaville

Reply to
MikeMandaville

I've been married that long (same sweet gal) - had a metal home shop at home years before. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

MikeMandaville wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn