Electrolytic rust removal-tools vs guns confusion

The previous thread on Ed's Red got me browsing the web on the subject and a lot I learned, but mixed in were references to gun cleaning using an electrical device with a rod down the bore, electrolyte, etc. A diagram on one site showing a home made unit indicates the polarity of the connections. That's odd, I thought.

much searching I find that is in fact how gun cleaners do it. The part to be cleaned is made positive, the bore rod is made negative. Now folks on this list are well aware of the derusting technigue of electrolysis set up essentially the same way. Only it is said to be absolutely sure the part to be cleaned is negative or serious damage will result by pitting of the metal, etc.

How can these two methods used by folks most interested in the care and cleaning of their precious tools and guns be in total opposition to the means to the end? What's going on here, what am I missing? RichD

Reply to
Anonymous

You are missing the fact that the gun cleaner units are trying to move either copper or lead only from the bore surface to the central rod by the electroplating process. The electrolytes used are specially formulated for either copper or lead and do not react with the steel bore surface. When all the unwanted metals are removed, the reaction stops even though the power is still applied.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Google. FFS - there's enough already posted on the process. Try rec.woodworking, or uk.rec.engines.stationary

Reply to
Andy Dingley