English wheel

I too did it. Ordered an English wheel from Harbor Freight. Told my wife (I always confess after a tool order) that she too will have fun with it. Tried to present it as "it was for my last birthday, when I told you all not to get me anything". Anyway, she's happy for me!!!!!

The self justification went along the lines of: I need it for about an hours worth of work on a 2'x2' metal design. Will use it a lot when I start our 20± foot tall yard art. Hope to scrounge some body panels (doors and hoods) from body shops and make sculpture parts with the wheel.

What a wife!!!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Telling her is acceptable. It's all in *how* you tell her ..

Uh, oh. By using the word "confess" you unconsciously reveal your guilty feelings. Buying tools/machines when you feel guilty about it is a bad sign.

Weak.

Much weaker.

Wise woman. It doesn't mean she buys your baloney though.

Sounds reasonable to me. Why feel guilty? Try this one too: you can use it as long as you want, take care of it, and when you stop using it you can sell it. You then only have to rationalize the difference between buying and selling price. Expressed as a monthly cost, it's often trivial, less than a cuppa coffee. Again, why feel guilty?

Lucky guy.

:-)

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You should have bought it as her birthday present.

"No honey the store has a no return policy. Dang ! what we do now ? I thought you'd like it...... Well, I guess I'll make use of it...if I must."

Sound downcast. Practice in the mirror...you've only got one shot.

If she catches on, it could get....ah....ugly.

Reply to
GatherNoMoss

For their fiftieth wedding anniversary, my Grandfather bought my Grandmother a chainsaw, because my Dad was taking down a tree...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

One would assume that after fifty years with the same guy that your Grandmother had a good sense of humor. Or was your Grandfather called "Stumpy" after that?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 20:59:03 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Steve Smith quickly quoth:

Yeah, I heard that story. They lived in Texas, right? There's a new movie out, too, isn't there?

-- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. -- Confucious

Reply to
Larry Jaques