Evaporator coils for compressed air dryers

I was highly impressed with use of evaporator coils for drying compressed air.
I called a few HVAC contrators from yellow pages, and, unfortunately,
none of them could give me anything. I would like to hear some creative ideas on where to get them.
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:16:12 GMT, Ignoramus19820

Actually I think your idea of a automotive condenser coil is good. One out of large pickup or even a truck. Make it up with one of those and mount it in front of the pulley on the air compressor so that it moves air through it and I think you'd be in good shape. If it proves to be to small you can always go and get another one.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

I will check it out... Is it rated for appropriate PSI? (say 200 PSI)

I've forgotten what R-12 and R-134A run at, but 'normal' pressure for an R-22 system is about 225 on the high side (condensor). So I'd say it was working in the safe range for drying air.
LLoyd
I had a freind make a air dryer for his shop , He took a small water heater took it apart cut it in half .Then he took small room dehumidifier emptyed the freon out of it and put the evaporator coils inside the tank. Then he weled it all back up recharged the dehumidifier put the insulation back around the tank .It works great it keeps the air around 35 deg. I an not sure how he emptys all the water that codensis in the bottom of the tank but i can hear it let some air out abour every hour.
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:41:15 GMT, Ignoramus19820

Easily. Pop off pressure on R-12 is generally 350 PSI. By using the condenser instead of the evaporator you're using the component made to take that pressure.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Ignoramus19820 wrote:

There's a huge (240 cfm) Arrow air dryer on my local craigslist (Bothell, WA) -- the seller wants $400 and would probably take $250.
GWE

would not work for me...

You might consider getting a radiator, car or truck, get the size you need. Find one that has pipes long enough to solder on connectors.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:59:46 -0500, "B.B."

I had one from a failed airconditioner on my house that took me 3 yrs to get rid of. I finally hauled it to the dump. Would have made a pretty decent condenser, but for that big assed 220volt fan spinning the electric meter.
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

Another tank added inline works very nicely to seperate water. Doesn't cost anything to 'run'.
michael

| So, what difference would there be if I were just to hang it from the | wall in my garage, with some airspace around it (hell, even tilted away from | the wall a bit) and let it work as a passive device? My compressor is just | a 5hp with a 20 gallon tank. | I've got one or two condensers from a couple cars I've parted out. How | worth it is to plumb one between the compressor and the tank? I'd have to | attach it to the tank somehow, but wouldn't that be more efficient than on | the outlet of the tank? There would have to be a large pipe to act as a | collection point, and it would be a heck of a lot easier to get to for | emptying instead of reaching to the bottom and having it splatter crap all | over the floor!
I just drug it out to see how well it flowed and to blow it out. Pretty decent condenser, but wouldn't flow near as much as the airline I was blowing out with. I could either get a second one or find a bigger one. I'll have to visit a junkyard and see what's out there.