Every eligible voter had a voter ID card in the 1960s

Sez you. My mother (a poll worker in those days) tells me otherwise.

...and being replaced with recorded signatures and provisional ballots pending match-up... for many good reasons.

Military mail-in ballots couldn't exactly be accompanied by an ID card, and voting from a ship at sea must have been difficult. Still is, some states/some years. Florida, 2000, had a 'postmark requirement' that an armed forces postal system does not meet (a postmark would be a security problem), and LOTS of votes were discarded.

Reply to
whit3rd

That's the exception. The exceptions have grown exponentially.

Reply to
John Doe