Every eligible voter had a voter ID card in the 1960s

There wasn't any voter fraud.
If you didn't have a valid voter ID card, you didn't get to vote.
Guess which communist sympathizing party and quasi-legal
"advocacy/activist" organization is responsible for the voter ID cards vanishing.
Party: _______t
On Sunday, November 22, 2020 at 5:04:33 PM UTC-8, Jon wrote:

Sez you. My mother (a poll worker in those days) tells me otherwise.

...and being replaced with recorded signatures and provisional ballots pending match-up... for many good reasons.
Military mail-in ballots couldn't exactly be accompanied by an ID card, and voting from a ship at sea must have been difficult. Still is, some states/some years. Florida, 2000, had a 'postmark requirement' that an armed forces postal system does not meet (a postmark would be a security problem), and LOTS of votes were discarded.

That's the exception. The exceptions have grown exponentially.