fa - special washing machine tool

some time back, there was a very lengthy set of threads on washing machine repair - for one or two of you, this tool may be of great value, or at least interesting - specialty bearing and motor pulley puller for a range of machines

William Noble

Our old washer ( Kenmore 1995) stopped pumping the water out on the spin cycle.. Upon dis-assembly I found the water pump to have worn out, plus the bushings for the basket drive were shot- pretty simple except for the odd size spanner nut holding the basket was very tight and made of aluminum. Hammer and punch did not budge it, and it looked like it might break before it came loose. Local Kenmore store said it was a " non repairable" item and I should buy a new washer ( and matching dryer of course, since no wife will accept a mis matched pair) Found a piece of pipe in the scrap that was the same diameter as the nut, milled some slots into it to match the spanner nut, welded a flat bar across the end of the pipe and welded a nut to the flat bar at the center point, and voila- used my impact wrench on the whole mess and the spanner nut came right off. Replaced the bushings and water pump and much to my wife's dismay, the old set is back in action.

Reply to
Jim Insolo