fab question - I need to make/buy a thin SS half round tube

we got a stainless steel farm style sink in the kitchen. There's no counter edge on the front of the sink so any splashes that land on the sink deck run off the front edge onto the floor. For a pretty expensive sink, it's not a good design. My idea to fix this is to get a 3 ft "half round" of ss tubing, maybe with a 1/8" or 3/16" radius (1/4" to 3/8 diam tube before slitting) and fill the inside of the half-round with silicone and glue it down to the sink deck just to make a little "speed bump" to stop the water. I figure if the edge is straight, then there should be no glue visible. Of course the problem is how to get or fab this. Any ideas?

Reply to
lens

I would form a piece of flat stock. In a piece of IPE (ironwood) use a router with a ball end tool to form the female die. Use a round over bit to form the male punch, with a little clearance. Place SS sheet over die and C clamp forcing SS into the female die.

Mach> we got a stainless steel farm style sink in the kitchen. There's no

Reply to
Mechanical Magic

Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I suppose I could also use a solid half round and attach it with some type of adhesive. But at 1/4" diameter there would not be much glue surface. But since cutting anything lengthwise for 3 or 4 feet will be a real problem, I think I need to either buy it in the right profile or form flat stock as suggested.

Reply to
lens

Not the exact dimensions you asked for, but it was the second Google hit for: "stainless steel" "rub rail"

A deeper search may turn up something closer. If not, it would be easier to modify that stuff than start from scratch.

Reply to
Ned Simmons