Far off topic: old fart chuggin' on

Mary suggested that I do my 3 miles indoors today since it was hot and muggy out. Nuh-uh, winter is long enough. It was indeed hot and muggy but there was a brisk south wind.

By the time I returned, I was sweating profusely and draggin' a bit. My tee shirt was soaked. I haven't sweated like that since Army days. Sweat in my eyes behind my shades. But I was ready to go again after a 5-minute rest and half a pint of iced tea. Dr. B has my meds so the idle jet on my cardiac carburetor is set at just barely ticking over with BP at 100 over 65 or so, but he keeps saying "you can do more, you have no limits, keep pushing the envelope." Eeeyahhh. I need a freakin' drill instructor at age 68 in my golden years?

Mary wiped me down once I stopped sweating, about 10 minutes after return. She asked if I wanted a wipedown just because I craved the attention. I said "wull yah!" She said, "I like that about you."

Then we went to the Toyota dealer to get the recall done on her Corolla. That and an oil change would take 90 minutes or so. Geez, I'd expected more like 30 minutes. I'd brought a book, but still. Hey, we need a new rope for the flagpole and there's a Wal-Mawrt within walking distance so out the door I went. I walked another 45 minutes, fartin' around in Wal-Mart and Cub (grocery) and back and forth. Wal-Mart once again has ammo in stock. 100 rounds of 9mmp that used to be about $18 is now about $23, but they do have it. They also had .40S&W, didn't check price. Didn't see any .380 or .45ACP but I didn't really look that hard. Just curious.

I didn't like the rope they had. "Synthetic" clothesline. Synthetic could mean anything, recycled Chinamen for all I know. I want nylon. The wind bangs that rope against the pole a lot, and if it breaks and falls out of the top pulley I've no idea how the hell I'd get a new one threaded. I'm not about to shinny up that flagpole and I don't know anyone with a ladder that tall. I want good rope. Line to y'all sailors.

I noted that Cub had a book by an author I like, new release in paperback, but Wally's usually has better prices. But Wally's didn't have the book so I stopped back at Cub with the lovely stiff-nipples air conditioning suggesting that the whole damned store is the frozen foods dept. Grabbed the book, went to check out.

A scan didn't work. The publisher's printed price was $9.99 and the stick-on tag said the same, but the barcode wasn't working. The cashier, an attractive cocoa-colored woman with dreadlocks, tried entering it manually. No luck. I suggested that when a scan doesn't work the price is $7.54. She laughed, said she'd go check and went to the book dept which wasn't far. Came back with no news, fancy that. She tried to call someone. That didn't work either. She looked at me as I stood there patiently grinning at her. She dug out some sorta pink electronic gizmo and pushed buttons for a minute, then entered $7.99 on the cash register and that worked. I asked her what the pink gadget was. She gave me a 300-watt grin, said it's a calculator; she'd knocked 20% off publisher's price and it worked. I think she liked me. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Here in the desert, with the wind and dust...we tend to use a nice supple, well laid, small steel cable. When tightened down properly..it doesnt bang the flagpole hardly at all.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Every time I tell a clerk that 20% off means 80% left, which in this case is trivially easy mental math, they give be the craziest incredulous look like I was trying to scam or explain Laplace transforms to them. One had to calculate it both ways to prove it to herself.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What's that Lassie? You say that Don Foreman fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:00:52 -0500:

If you wrap the rope/line around the flagpole once before you cleat it, you won't have it slapping all the time in the wind.

Reply to
dan

Yup, living up north sorta makes us less heat tolerant. It was a b*tch at work today on the plant floor. Our computer we use is in the parts cage, management considers the parts cage an eye sore so they put slats in the chain link fence that makes the cage. It was a bit stifling sitting inside trying to email people to get quotes for repair items. No breezes. Monday, I'm ordering a fan.

Back when I was younger, I rode some bicycle tours in crazy hot heat, even 24 hour marathons. Prevailing in a less than comfortable environment seemed like a be a man thing to me. Strange how some discomfort makes you feel alive.

I'd like 100 over 65. 132 over 88 is as good as can pull off on average. I've hit some nice lows like 117 over 71. I need to set up a time weighted average calculation for my readings since over sampling when I'm worried affects the gross average.

I guess I could do it in excel. I know I could do it in Clipper if I still had it on my machine. I was pretty good with it 10 years ago.

You chose well. (So did she)

Yup, .380 and .45 seem unobtainium based on my consistent local surveys.

.380 is for social guns, guns we carry when we can't conceal a real gun.

.45 is for guns we carry going into places we don't care to go to. Hint, I carry a .45 when I'm near Detroit. It used to be a Security Six .357 before I bought a Ruger P90DC. Some day, a 1911 but for now, the P90DC is perfect for defense. DA/SA. No safety to worry about, not a chance that improvised carry will cause a unintended discharge like with a Glock. I'm not banging on Glocks. In a holster, the rest of the safety system, they are fine fighting handguns. I'm a revolver guy at heart. I don't mind a heavy trigger pull for 21 foot or less distances which seems to be the threat line

*if* you can get to your gun.

I know why the current batch of semis are liked, pull it out, squeeze trigger, don't worry about safety. Stuff happens fast, less steps, better chance of winning. I just don't ever want an AD.

You are a discerning purchaser. I'd check McMaster and get good stuff.

Cold is good right up to getting a headache from it. Like eating too much icecream on a hot day.

Sounds like an win win solution. She is brighter than many sales clerks.

Wes

Wes

considers the parts

I compared the LCR (.38 spl revolver) and LCP (.380ACP semiauto) at the range a couple of days ago. I shot consistently low and left with the LCR the first time at the range but I shot much better this time. The LCR carries just fine in a pocket holster when wearing jeans, which is about all I ever wear. The flatter LCP would be more suitable for "dress pants" but I doubt if I'd want to be armed anywhere I'd go in dress pants.

I've lately been carrying the LCR loaded with +P polymer hollowpoints on my walks.

Being retired, I don't go places I don't care to go! Well, not in that sense anyway. I don't like going to hospitals, but when a spouse, neighbor or friend is there I visit.

don't worry

I thoroughly enjoy shooting my 1911's but I wouldn't carry one. It's too easy to forget about the safety under stress. .40S&W and .45ACP are very comparable in efficacy and there are a lot of choices in .40. I've fired a friend's XD in .45ACP a number of times, just can't get to like it. Maybe my hand isn't quite big enough to feel like I've got hold of that fat double-stacker. I have a XD in .40 that I like a lot. It was my first handgun since military days. It's quite similar to a Glock but it has the additional backstrap grip safety like a

1911.

Oh yeah! They get some doozies at Wal-Mawrt but there was nothing slow about this gal.

Reply to
Don Foreman

don't worry

Then you are not shooting a firearm with a safety often enough. You dont have any muscle memory trained into your thumb.

Gunner. who never "thinks" about removing the safety..but she ALWAYS goes bang when she is supposed to.

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

trigger, don't worry

That's exactly right. Fortunately, I know it.

My CQB instructor recalled a Navy Seal who once forgot the safety on his 1911 in heat of battle, very nearly ending him. Seals train a hell of a lot more than I ever intend to.

Your thumb is smarter than my thumb!

Reply to
Don Foreman

trigger, don't worry

40 yrs of shooting 1911s and similar have trained it better than your thumb.