Pets 10 commandments

Remember that they can't do a lot of things for themselves and that they depend on you to make their life a quality life! .........

  1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful
  2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

  1. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

  2. Don 't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

  1. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

  2. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it..

  1. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

  2. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

  1. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

  2. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don 't make me face this alone.. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

~Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them.

Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God's critters.

Gunner, passing along a wonderful post With 2 dogs sleeping at his feet, and a cat in his lap.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Strabo

We have a mobile vet who specializes in this service. She comes to your home and hangs out with you and the dog for a period of time. Afterwards, she has you make a little bed of towels, and the dog lies down on them, all the while getting a goodly amount of attention from everyone present.

The first shot is a tranquilizer, and all of the age that your dog has had to carry with it magically disappears; all of the muscles relax, it's breathing becomes very easy, and it is the happiest dog in the world.

With the second shot, the breathing slows and then stops.

I've done it this way with my last three dogs, and it makes it a lot easier to say goodbye when the time comes.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I miss having a dog but I'm away for 10+ hours a day, can't get home at lunch like I used to be able to let the dog out to pee.

I'm likely a cat candidate except that my sofa and ez chair is covered in leather. I won't de-claw a cat. They get out, they are defenseless.

My pets have gone 15-22 years at a clip. Adopting one is close to a lifetime commitment. I'm not sure I have the lifetime.

Obviously, I stay away from large dogs. Life span way too short for my liking. In a perfect world dogs would live to be 75 or so. Cats also if they leave the furniture alone. ;)

I still miss Thor, the Wunder Dog.

Not the brightest dog but he was a loyal buddy. I still reach out to pet his imaginary head these years later. He was my bud.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

i use these on 5 of my cats:

it's impossible for them to damage anything with these, although i don't put them on their rear legs so when they launch off they can do some slight damage.

Reply to
chaniarts

A vet told me that dogs that choose their owners tend to live longer. Charlie the Dog decided to move in with me when we were both strays. I was very clear what sort of manners and conduct were required if she wanted to live there, she "got it" immediately.

The vet told me that when I brought Charlie in for routine shots. He asked me how old she was. I said 14. He said "no way!" Way! He asked me what I fed her. I said the cheapest dry dogfood they have at Cub, supplemented with occasional Dairy Queens, steak bones and Pabst Blue Ribbons. He said if that Houle's dry dogfood would be more palatable with gravy he might try it himself.

She was a black lab/german shepherd. She lived 17 years, about twice the life expectancy of that breed. Mary regarded her as "that Goddamned tulip-eating dog" for the first 10 years but they eventually became fast friends. Charlie guarded her like a shadow when we were in the Northwoods, Mary being steward of her land and Charlie protecting her from marauding chipmunks and Canada geese.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Think Ig will adopt the groundhog?

Reply to
Don Foreman

Or maybe start on a new hobby?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Gummer just hangs them to death from his front porch with a choker. A lot cheaper but requires the absence of human emotion.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

Gummer, the asshole who hangs his dogs to death with a choker collar.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

"Curly Surmudgeon"

Fuck You curly, you're _way_ out of line!!!! phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Actually he isn't, or at the least he's telling the truth. Gunner was teaching Opie a lesson and ended up hanging him.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Nope. Like most of us, gummer probably first heard decades ago that choker chains are a stupid-owner trick. But he's convinced that reality doesn't apply to him, and in this particular case it was his dog that paid the price.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 23:32:32 -0500, Don Foreman wrote the following:

'Cept for most pitbulls who are mistreated.

ROTFLMAO! You owe me a monitor and keyboard, Don.

Having seen, for 56 years in person, all the nastyass things that humans pull on animals, I'm of the distinct opinion that 90% of people should not own pets, period.

-- Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst. -- Lin Yutang

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:38:10 -0400, Spehro Pefhany wrote the following:

Just be thankful that Don already ruined my monitor and keyboard, Spehro. ;)

-- Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst. -- Lin Yutang

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Chudov's Animal Obedience School and Taxidermy Shop. Hmmmm.

Reply to
John Husvar

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 08:25:19 -0400, John Husvar wrote the following:

Try

Chudov's Math Tutoring, Animal Obedience School, & Taxidermy Shop. "Your pain is our gain!"

-- Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst. -- Lin Yutang

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There are lots of older dogs needing homes, who are unlikely to outlive you, but could sure use a great companion, rather than a nasty death on the street, or an impersonal one at the pound

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I adapted that from a Michael Longcor song: "Bob's Dog Obedience School and Taxidermy Shop."

He didn't specify the shop's motto, but "Results guaranteed for 'Sit' and 'Stay.'" would seem appropriate.

Reply to
John Husvar

You left out "Ebay Store".

Reply to