Fastening rubber cover on belt grinder contact wheel

I have a homemade belt grinder with a 2" aluminum contact wheel. I am replacing its rubber cover with a piece of 1/4" thick EPDM that I got from McM-C. I tried fastening the previous cover with contact cement and with Barge cement with limited success. The problem that I had occurred at high speed (around contact wheel at 4000 rpm). The centrifugal force would pull the end loose and all hell would break out! And that was 1/8" thick, so 1/4" will be twice as bad.

What I want to try is skiving the cover so that the cover can be glued to itself, and that the cent. force at the very end is small. I'm thinking that a skive length of about 1" looks-about-right. How would I skive a 2" wide, 1/4" thick piece of EPDM rubber (60A durometer)?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt