Favorite On-Topic Answers on RCM

To date, the best I've seen was in response to "How do you drill a
curved hole?".
Answer: "Give it to an apprentice and ask him to drill a straight hole".
Any others? (Leaving out the politics and religion, please?)
Reply to
Tim Wescott
Have a politician drill a "straight" hole?
Reply to
Cross-Slide
Take a look at:
Used to use bits like this to run romex thru corner studs.
HTH
Bob rgentry at oz dot net
Reply to
Bob Gentry
I wound up with a set of these made by Milwaukee. Price was steep -- and it would have been even steeper except that they had been in the store for so long that they had been discontinued, and the owner had to call Milwaukee (and give a magic word or two) to get the last price that they sold at. I needed the 1-1/4" diameter, and the around the corner at need was a nice bonus feature.
I've also used one to rout out a hole for storing a diamond dressing tool in the box which holds my Dremel grinding wheels. Just set it up in the drill press -- set the depth stop, and slid the wood box against the edge of the vise.
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
(...)
My favorites in chronological order:
P.S. A dishwasher, while a fine parts washer, is not perceived as such by roughly half of the population. Strange but true. Dave George 10/19/2007
Wrenches have a way of wandering off into those little wormholes that socks go into. A wrench isn't any good sitting in your tool box 100 miles away when your on a ride, so your going to have to take it out of the toolbox sooner or later, and when you do, if the little bastard sees an opportunity, it's gonna make a break for it. snipped-for-privacy@toybox.placo.com
I miss TV now and then. Usually just after I put a new scope on the rifle. - pyotr filipivich
The designer sat at his drafting board, A wealth of knowledge in his head was stored. Like "What can be done on a radial drill, Or a turret lathe or a vertical mill?" But above all things a knack he had, For driving gentle machinists mad. So he mused as he thoughtfully scratched his bean, Just how can I make this thing hard to machine? If I make this perfect body straight, The job had ought to come out first rate. But it would be so easy to turn and bore, That it would never make the machinist sore. So I'll put a compound taper there, And a couple of angles to make them swear. And brass would work for this little gear, But it's too damned easy to work I fear. So just to make the machinist squeal, I'll have him mill it from tungsten steel. And I'll put these holes that hold the cap, Down underneath where they can't be tapped. Now if they can make this, it'll just be luck, Cause it can't be held by dog or chuck, And it can't be planed and it can't be ground, So I feel my design is unusually sound. Then he shouted with glee, "Success at last! This goddam thing can't even be cast!" Gerry :-)} London, Canada
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
Hell, I make curved-hole drills all the time, for metal. But I just call it "sharpening." :)
Reply to
John Husvar
Y'know, ever since I saw those diagrams of the "relief well(s)" in the Gulf Spill news, I've wondered - how _DO_ you drill a bent hole?
Thanks, Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
They go to the same Twilight Zone where the other sock went[1] and are used for raw material for those dang clotheshangers that seem to multiply in the closet.
Cheers! Rich
[1] Actually, I think I know where the other sock went - you lost one, so when you sort and pair your socks, you throw the odd one back in the hamper and forget about it - there's really only the one lost sock! (Kinda like that fruitcake that sits on the shelf until you give it away next Xmas.) ;-)
Rich Grise
(check the See Also menu at the bottom)
See also "mud motor"
Gunner, heart of the oil fields
I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Thanks! Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will, through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs, Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota).
The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability. Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones, of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines." Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Your welcome.
It can be rather fascinating to figure out how the boys do things out in the patch.
Gunner
I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Carefully...
Reply to
Sjouke Burry
The only credit I can take for the above comes from the fact that I knew where I had stored this gem that was posted on RCM many years ago. Unfortunately, I failed to store the name of the original contributor.
Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
Consistent with the law of innate perversity of inanimate objects, tools used on a dock are irresistably attracted to the water under the dock. These dark forces are sneaky and devious, snatching tools from the hands and pockets of the unwary to make that dreaded quiet "sploop" sound that signals their disappearance into icy cold water to be absorbed and concealed by the loonshit bottom within seconds.
Reply to
Don Foreman
It is a good'un for sure.
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
I believe the "sploop" and "ploop" sounds of tools hitting liquid is due to the liquid's hastened coverup of its newlyfound treasure.
Unfortunately, I've heard both sound types. Used automotive oil makes the "ploop" variety. The deeper the bowl of it, the happier the sound.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I've often wondered. I've asked contacts in the oil industry from time to time. The usual response is a hasty subject change, or just embarrassed silence. I guess it's for initiates only.
Reply to
Fred Abse
For an angled hole someplace really inaccessible
'Versibit+shank
Reply to
JeffM
Not a real detailed explanation, but includes diagrams of bottom hole assemblies for 2 of the methods of curved bore drilling.
Reply to
Glen Walpert