Feed Controls?

Well... This is on topic because of what I plan on using it for... My metalworking machines...

But ultimately, it might be an OT post.

I'm looking for a hydraulic cylinder that has exactly the same volume in "front" and "back" so that I can link the two together without having pressure variances / blowing the thing apart.

i.e. I want to literally put a hose from one inlet port to the other without an accumulator.

Anyone know if such an animal exists?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:

Spindle Drills:

Joe AutoDrill

Forgot to mention. The catch is that I need the cylinder to be small. Small being 3-12" long and no larger than about 2" in diameter.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:

Spindle Drills:
V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Reply to
Grant Erwin

A double rod cylinder will give you a constant volume.

What bore, stroke and pressure rating? Bimba makes a 500psi hydraulic version of their SS throwaway cylinders. Though they don't list a double rod hydraulic version, they do make similar double rod air cylinders, so a special may not be out of the question.

PHD can do it for sure up to at least 1500 psi, but much more expensive than Bimba.

It's also worth checking SMC.

And these folks are a good source for unusual or special cylinders...
Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

According to Joe AutoDrill :

Look for a cylinder with equal sized rods coming out both ends. If you find one, that should meet your requirements.

If you can't tolerate the second rod, you'll really need to make some kind of accumulator to deal with the change in volume.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Take a look here:

Pete

Reply to
3t3d

Joe - how are you going to drive the cylinder? The equal displacement cylinder implies a fixed displacement pump. Do you have any other ideas?

Hul

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

I think ive got a couple pneumatics that size......

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in news:va2Pf.643$ky1.332@trndny06:

Joe, If you are using this as a feed control cylinder, you really should think about adding a small resevior. Not only will this help with the volume difference and allow you to use a single-rod cylinder, it will aide in cooling, which is going to quickly become a problem if this is even a moderately repetative cycle application.

Reply to
Anthony

No drive. I want to use it in a unique application where the front and rear ports are linked to each other with no accumulator.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

That is basically whant I'd like to find - but in a package that is 15" or less in total length. One problem I have is that as he length gets shorter, so does the overall "stroke" of the cylinder.

I'm shopping around. :)