Filling a 20 liter CO2 tank for soda

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news:99f642ae- snipped-for-privacy@f8g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

I know for a certainty that ours doesn't, and since it's a "corporate thing", I'm betting every one of their outlets in the country is the same.

AFAIK, their CO2 comes out of its own pipe, from its own tank, and its own hoses. They don't pump acetylene through the same hose.

And why the hell would I be afraid of some argon or helium in my Coke, anyway?

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Nope..they certainly dont. And I go to Airgas and Praxairs filling locations.

Shrug

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Years ago we were building a gas processing plant for a field that had considerable CO2 and a German company came to us to see about buying the CO2, that to us was waste. During meetings the German representative used the term "food grade" and talked about marketing to the soft drink makers.

Reply to
John B.

Airgas in Seattle does. Eric

Reply to
etpm

The funnier story to me is about where the CO2 comes from... It's from refineries....CO2 is a byproduct.

See, decades ago, I worked for a subsidiary of Koch Oil. Two engineers flew in from Wichita every Monday AM, & went home Friday. While we worked, they told use lots of stories. The best was how not once, but twice, their refinery burned down the CO2 plant.

None of us ever figured out how such was possible.....

Reply to
David Lesher

                         Dan

I believe you, but doubt if that is true very many places. The next time I am at a welding outlet, I will ask if they carry beverage grade.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

For the record, there are different grades of O2 as well.... welding, medical & aviators breathing Oxygen.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Same with most gases used for medical or human consumption.

BUT don't be surprised if you get called an idiot for daring to post true facts.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes, no, maybe...

The reality is there are different labels, but all are filled from the same cryo tank and thus the medical and aviator grades have the same higher purity of the welding grade even if the label lists the lower standards of medical or aviator grades. Only the analytical grade gets special treatment. This may well not have been true in decades past, but today what's in the cryo tank is ultra pure and meets all the standards.

Reply to
Pete C.

Wouldn't be hard to convince me that it's true. But that's only part of the equation.

We don't have many unicorns and rainbows where I live. In my world, I'd like my beverage CO2 supplier to have at the least the facade of proper handling for food-grade stuff.

This will never be an issue for CO2...until it is. Be as macho as YOU like.

Reply to
mike

The gas may be the same, but food grade also implies better handling, for example, the hoses would not be lying in oil and dirt etc.

Ignoramus8503

Implies, but not really. If you've seen the fill plants, all the fill whips hang down from overhead manifolds and their connections can't actually reach the floor. Those plants tend to be very clean anyway, since regardless of grade, pure O2 contacting stray grease on fittings does bad things.

Reply to
Pete C.

FYI: I've sucked down pure welding grade O2 at 60' depth equivalent pressure in a hyperbaric chamber with no issues.

Reply to
Pete C.

It's much like an "N" grade valve or other component -- while an off-the-shelf valve from a vendor catalog may satisfy the spec's and be the same functionally and serve the purpose from a practical standpoint, the N stamp pedigree implies the part has been through a rigorous process to ensure it really _does_ meet the performance requirements.

The other valve itself may not be any different but there's an assurance available w/ the one that just isn't there otherwise.

Until, of course, you get into the case of counterfeits and forged documents like the aircraft part scandals of a few years ago (which are probably still around at least to some extent altho not heard much about it recently). There are always the unethical and just outright crooks everywhere.

Reply to
dpb

And an MD, who is a prominent FAA flight examiner and a pilot, uses and has extensively documented a setup that uses two big welding bottles of O2 to fill up his flight O2 system.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have not seen any place that makes or handles gases that have oil or dirt on the floors.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

You should get out more. I'd expect that there's oil and dirt on your very own bathroom floor...and probably lots of gasses handled there.

Reply to
mike

Air gas has two separate bui8ldings and are not in the same business group. The bottles are physically different and so are the people. They supply oxygen to those who need it to simply breathe.

The coke trucks have their own supplies - different bottles.

You get medical CO2 blocks at one and industrial blocks at the normal. When the medical unit gets a CO2 block set and doesn't use it - they give it to the normal welding group. They done' ship hearts or such - but shrink bearings or pipes or cause hail dimples to pucker and flip back to flat.

So it depends on where you are and what companies and what is done.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Very few people live like you, under an overpass,

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OMYGOSH!! I really appreciated all the information,comments, and education....AND the complete entertainment on the subject of C02 refill! You are all so humorously intelligent and eloquent!!

Ya, I'm a girl ....:) and you guys ROCK!!!

And POOR MIKE......

Take care, Mermaid55

Reply to
fuseconsignment