Finally

I had to move a rock about twice the size of a garbage can. I backed my ATV trailer to it. I lifted the trailer vertical and strapped the rock right on the ass end. I chained to the end of the tongue, and somewhat comically but successfully got it to where I wanted it all by myself. A little leverage and knowledge of rigging can be both impressive and scary at times.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If you have hard ground for the forklift, you should be able to dig or excavate by hose tunnels under the rock, rig two basket slings, and do it that way.

If I had to absolutely do it myself, I'd build a trailer with rails at a 160 angle, or thereabouts that could be stabbed under the rock, then a long tongue to apply leverage and lift the rock at two supporting points.

I had actually thought of that after I moved that one rock with my ATV trailer. Making it a leverage thing where you backed up to the rock, hooked up to it, used the leverage of a long tongue and short boom to lift the rock just until it cleared the deck.

I'd like to jot down some of the ideas I have one of these days, and post to flickr for comments.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Tell cliffie that all the evidence of WMDs in Iraq is buried under theat rock and stand back? He'll do his best to destroy both.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So, get a rock drill, some feathers and wedges, and break it into pavers and build a patio.

Or, just redesign the landscaping, and make it part of the ambiance. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You get the award of the day, for the best idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not that big. It handles 3800 lbs like it was nothing.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I could probably break this one down with my sledge hammer. But it's a nice rock, inconveniently located. I want to move it whole.

Reply to
RBnDFW