Finger Tip Nut Wrench?

I keep telling people that cellular phones are still not ready for prime time, despite all the new technologies and nearly ubiquitous cell towers. My cell phone is used as a last gasp device.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have some of them -- but none that small. And no information on who made them (no packaging, just the wrenches).

If so -- our imaginations are in sync. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

dab ha ha, that's odd. The phrase "no matter where you are" doesn't mean "no matter where you are" then, I guess. Because you enter that phrase in search engines and put in "phone", the wireless phone services and their advertisements come up.

Reply to
walter_evening

Around here, half of us have given up our landlines. Everybody uses cell phones for almost everything.

The last two hurricanes cinched it: no landlines, but cell phones were almost untouched.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Around here with all the phone lines buried storm damage isn't a big issue, but in a 40 year old subdivision hald the wire pairs in the cables have deteriorated to the point they are useless, and replacing the cables is a big job for the phone companies - with them running down the back property line between lots. In a lot of the more rural areas the same problem exists. A friend on the farm has terrible phone voice quality, and a lot of cross-talk (can hear the neighbours talking on the phone sometimes better that the person they are trying to talk to, and it is NOT a party line!!. The phone company has tried all the "spare pairs" and they are all worse than the one they are on.

Reply to
clare

I work on a Marina where they have WiFi. The down is 0.95Mbps, I've lived with it 5 or 7 years. Just yesterday they made a change and now I'm getting over 3Mbps, more than three times faster! I'm in speed city now.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Yep, neither of my two kids have have a landline, nor have they ever got cable TV, they stream everything. It's a changing world. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Your going to confuse these youngsters using words like party line. Probably think it's a drug reference. :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

While *here* (Washington DC vicinity), when we got hit by the "derecho" a few years ago (which had power out for three to seven days, depending on just where in the area you were):

1) Land lines kept working.

2) Cell Phones died as the tower's backup power ran out (assuming that you could find a power source to charge the cell phone itself.)

3) FIOS (fiber optic feed) died as soon as the rechargeable battery in the modem ran out of charge -- unless you had the special connector for an external battery to run the thing.

4) I don't know whether my T1 net feed worked or not, since I did not have power for the computers, anyway. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

My son does exactly the same thing. I'm not ready for all of it, but we're in a good spot, with multiple communication services, and I may change over completely this year.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Lots of folks down here don't have land lines. And cell coverage is spotty in the country. Telstra or Optus are the two big networks. I'm on Optus, get out of town a ways and I am lucky to get 1 bar. Bought a GPS receiver for my Iphone (Bad Elf) as Google and Apple maps rely on cell towers to fix location. (have to buy a map app that will connect to the receiver) If I ever do any outback exploring, a sat phone will be a must.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Yep, isn't it amazing how that works?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah, it's a good thing their prices have dropped over the years. You can buy a used Iridium or Globalstar with GPS on eBay for under $100 now. An Australian Iridium SIM with 75mins/1mo service is $146.

Then again, after a few good EMPs, nuttin'll work, sats and sat phones included.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It isn't anything I _ever_ could have conceived when I was first 19, that's for sure.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If its back-pain (or really any kind of pain), its been my experience that binging on raw vegetables provides relief for maybe a day or so. I remember I was telling Tom that some time ago.

Reply to
mogulah

A chubby Eastern Indian _cowboy/survival instructor_? Whoda thunk?

Old style cell phones with PM (whatever it's called) will still work as short-range walkies if properly protected during any of the varied/ possible electronic storms, or so I've read.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You're STILL 19....except for your body.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

+1
Reply to