Fire truck engines

Three big red trucks just went fast down the main street here while I was walking home with the groceries.

Somebody here must put out fires for a living; those trucks were pretty loud - what kind of motors do they have in those things?

Um, it's ok with me that they're loud. They can put on the siren 'cause they are going out for pizza if you ask me.

Reply to
jtaylor

Fire trucks these days are built on fairly ordinary truck chassis with ordinary diesel truck engines. Then the run the heck out of them.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Standard diesel engines, but generally at the top of the line where horsepower is concerned. 60-series Detroits primarily, but Cats and Cummins' also. Largely 450 HP and up coupled with Allison automatics. A real hoot to drive.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mulhollan

Meaning that You can roll over just about anything H2 or lower. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

"Steve Mulhollan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Speaking of Fire Engines, my wife's uncle has a 1941 Chevrolet Buffalo Fire truck. All original and unrestored. Runs and its a 4 wheel drive. It has its original Siren, pumps and hose reels. He has had it for quite a number of years. He is thinking of selling it. Where can I go on the net to find value of these old Fire Trucks to help him with its worth?

Thanks guys! Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Marty Escarcega wrote: (Snip)

Like this?

?ViewItem&category=6737&item=2455793697

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Greetings and Salutations...

Well, it is a real shame that Arthur Fiedler (Long-time conductor of the Boston Pops and other orchestras) has been dead for a while. He collected fire engines, and a collector is ALWAYS a great person to deal with. I suspect, though, that Ebay is a good way to get some advertising out there, even if you don't sell it there. I see there are some links on the net for this sort of thing, including this one:

The bottom line is that the thing is worth what he can get for it. that might be $500 or it might be $500,000. Hard to tell. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Thing with Fire trucks are that the exhaust is usually at ground level instead of 12 feet up and pointing straight up. My 68 Unimog with only a 2.2 litre straight six sounds like a tank, especially driving downtown Toronto with the sound resonating off the buildings. Dave D.

Reply to
David De Vuono