Athearn N scale Fire Trucks

I ordered two, they just came in friday, which leads to another issue. N scale fire houses(Fire Stations). I checked Walthers out, did a Google search. All but one I found at Walthers was European, the one I did find was made by Pikestuff. Can anybody out there direct me to some other source of American(preferably southern, 1980's, 1990's vintage, or maybe earlier, fire houses tend to stay around for a while) fire station kits? If not, well, I have already been talking to some friends I have in the Fire Service. Back to the fire trucks. I already have one disassembled. That is why I bought two. And I have documented it photographically. I am planning on how to give it working lights. And thank you very much Mr. Serendipity. I was up on the Newark Electronics web page and they had some plastic Agilent fiber optics that are just about the perfect size for the headlights. I got about eight feet, some 3 candle white led's plus the rest of my collection. Comes in handy being a HAM operator, electronics homebrewer, and packrat extradinare. I am documenting every step of giving the fire trucks prototype winky-blinky lites. Now if someone can direct me to a really good firestation kit... Paul

Reply to
Paul R. Bennett

Paul wrote: Can anybody out there direct me to some other source of American(preferably southern, 1980's, 1990's vintage, or maybe earlier, fire houses tend to stay around for a while) fire station kits? If not, well, I have already been talking to some friends I have in the Fire Service.

---------------------------------------------------- I like Life-Like's #7483 Volunteer Fire Co. for a "city" fire station. You can see the HO version of it (N scale is basically the same):

HO version (w/pix):

N scale (no pix):

Rix has a fire station that would be typical on the road:

I have an N scale Life-Like fire station on my layout. It's in the front, third from left:

BTW, I believe the Life-Like ones are modeled from a fire station in Baltimore, Maryland..

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Oops! I sent the url for the page that has the fire station pix but not the actual picture. Here it is:

Sorry for the confusion!

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Let me know how it goes. I have two ordered also, and intend to the same thing.

The XYL and I are hams also!!

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard

Well, here is the report so far. I am holding one engine in virgin condition. The other is the "victim" I got it apart and took off the top lights. Fingernails recommended, and a gentle pry with an X-Acto knife. After a quick overlook, my notion of using surface mount leds went out the window, not enough room, so I am using fiber optics. I am planning on mounting the electronics below the road bed. The agilint plastic fiber optics is just about a perfect fit for the headlights. I had to remove the top red plastic lights and drill the holes out a bit. Note that there is a dark plastic piece that is part of the chassis of the truck that comes up behind the headlights. I figure I am going to have to cut into the seats for the fiber optic feed. I probably will use a pair of white LED's for the top lights as they are clear red plastic. Headlights will be a white led too. I will use red led's for the marker lights. As for the fire station, I have some friends in the local fire service. I am going to talk very nice to them and visit county records. One gent suggested a couple of fire station kits and I am going to take a look at them, but more and more I am thinking I would like to scratch build, using either Station 19 or Station 15 as a model.

Paul WA4FOX

Paul R. Bennett

I'll offer an alternative idea that mounts everything in the engine. I just finished one and I'm happy with the results.

I'll be offering custom installation similar to what I do with the HO model. I prefer to keep everything in the engine, with just wires coming out for power. That makes it easy to put on the layout since you don't have to route the fiber optics down through the surface.

There's nothing at all wrong with your method of using the fiber optics below the layout, if you're doing the whole installation yourself. But it's not practical in my case, where it has to be more flexible for a wide variety of customers.

Iif you remove that piece of plastic that comes up behind the headlights, you have room for #1206 SMD LEDs. It's a tight fit, but it works. You have to carefully paint the LEDs so that no light escapes, but they aren't visible, even with that piece of plastic removed.

I also use 1206 LEDs for the strobes on top. I simply mount two on top using the same holes that the light bar provides, then I fill in the gap by using the middle part of the original light bar. By using the LEDs it's a much brighter strobe.

I'm also installing rear flashers by using fiber opitics, but hiding the LED for those inside the rear compartment.

I'll be using the same special effects board I use for the HO model, which has a very realistic strobe effect. I should have them available by the N scale convention in August in Virginia.

Mike Tennent IronPenguin Electronics

Special Effects lighting, Traffic lights, Crossing guards

Reply to
Mike Tennent

Sounds great. When I get mine I will e-mail you regarding costs and when you will be ready to have them shipped.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard