fixing gas tank on lawn mower

Yep that about sizes it up. I will often smear a little on top of my hot repair just as insurance but I have had it peel off plastic that was still in good shape.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

On 12 May 2004 17:17:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@w-sherwood.ih.lucent.com (Charles A. Sherwood) brought forth from the murky depths:

Most of the GOOP products work like gangbusters on just about anything they're spread on. Recommended!

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'll second that. This stuff is terrific, but I don't think it would hold up with gasoline like Seal-All will.

BTW Seal All and Goop are made by the same company.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

In Canada Home Hardware and Canadian Tire carry the stuff.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

this tank still looks good even though its probably 10 years old.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Charles,

I fixed a leaking gas tank on a Dodge D-50 a few years ago with some

2-part epoxy I bought at the local auto parts store. It was in a 3/4" round by 3" long clear plastic tube, one part was wrapped around the other, both being an off gray color. I drained the tank, rubbed it with some emory cloth, worked a small pinch of the epoxy together in my hands till it started getting warm, slapped it in place and held it for a minute or two and that was it.

Granted my situation was with a metal tank, but I think if you roughed the plastic up some with some sandpaper it should work. The epoxy was maybe $1US, so it will not break the bank to try.

Good luck, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

I fixed a small plastic gas tank with fiberglass and it was over 8 years ago. Drilled to holes at the end of the crack (about 3 inches long). Laid down about 5 layers of fiberglass. Crack was on the bottom. No troubles yet.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I had a McCullough chain saw (Made after they sold the co. for a few years) that I threw about a hundred feet.(F@#$%^& POS,,) The polyethylene tank broke in the impact with a boulder. I did fix the tank with hot melt glue- Some of them are low MW PE, anyway, not soluble in fuel, and compatible with the tank material. The tank never leaked. The thing actually ran better for a few months after the discipline, after which I took it to the local Range and hung it up on the 50 yard gong stand, 7.62X39 till there was not much left but a few crumbs of magnesium...Hmm. Shoulda used tracers.

Reply to
Grunty Grogan

I believe that this is a "known problem", but perhaps pre-dates CSPC recall campaigns. Toro DID recall a large number of their Lawnboy brand lawn mowers for this exact problem:

I attempted to fix my split tank. I ended up finding a good tank on a throwaway at the dumpster. A LOT easier than repairing the old one!

Reply to
Ms. Manners

Chuck, There's a place called Snyder's, for Model A and Model T parts located in Ohio that has some stuff in a can that you "line" the inside of the tank with. It's liquid, you dump it in, swish it around to coat all surfaces, dump it out, do it again, and again to build up a good layered coating inside the tank. It turns into sort of a rubberized bladder inside the tank and probably will seal the crack for a long time (the stuff is flexible when cured) and seems to bond to anything. Used for sealing old Model A/T tanks with pinholes in them and covers rust, etc. Not cheap (I think about $25 / quart) but it is pretty good stuff. Second problem is why the tank cracked at the seam? Vibration, binding, etc., should be eliminated by checking the mounts for the tank - making new strap mounts if necessary to help support the tank. HTH Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

On 12 May 2004 13:38:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@w-sherwood.ih.lucent.com (Charles A. Sherwood) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: uncap my header address to reply via email

You can use a hot air gun, but a soldering iron will work as well. I have repaired a whipper-snipper like this. The filler plastic depends on what the tank is made of, or some nearby material.

All care about expelling fuel applies.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

Metal gas tanks are easy to repair! Seal All that was mentioned earlier does the trick here. I have patched metal tanks while they were still dripping gas from the hole. Clean up the spot with sand paper or wire brush, put a glob of Seal All on a finger tip and hold it on the hole for a minute. Repete 'till it quits, then give it a couple more coats.

Plastic tanks on the other hand are a bitch to patch with anything! I have used Seal All with marginal success, and it would be my first choice. JB Weld is a great product, but I have had no luck with it and plastic tanks.

I have a 8 HP Tecumseh with a con rod blow out hole that I patched 12 years ago with JB Weld. I helped I friend repair a diesel engine that had a water jacket crack with JB Weld. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Based on followup articles yesterday I decided to try and patch the tank. I cut some filler material off the skirt of the shroud and used my hot air gun to melt it. It worked reasonable well. The plastic would soften and I could shape it with a cold screwdriver. (the plastic sticks to a hot screwdriver) After shaping it, I applied more heat to make the surface flow and turn glossy. After several tries it seems to be air tight. My air test consisted of putting a hose on the fuel outlet, sealing the filler cap by covering with plastic and screwing the cap on and blowing on the hose while the take was in a bucket of water. No air bubbles from the patch but a couple from the filler hole

It turns out it was not the seam but a crack near the seam that was leaking. I think I knocked something off a shelf and it fell on the tank over the winter. I remember cringing when that happened but there was no obvious damage and it was a junk mower at the time.

thanks for all the help! chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Good to hear it's going again. What's the model number of the mower? Should be something like 27064. I might be able to get a cheap new tank.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

You might try a "P-Tex Candle" that's used for repairing the PE running surface of skis. You can get it in a ski shop. Does stick to PE, and is cheap. You just light the candle, and let the molten PE drip onto the gouge (in this case the seam). It might be a really cheap way to try a quick repair. Don't get the flame too close to the tank, for obvious reasons.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love America

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat