Flanged shaft collar?

Hi,

I am building a small wind turbine from scratch. I have a smooth shaft and I would like to attach the three blades on to it. I guess the way to do this is to find a flanged collar to lock on to the shaft and then bolt the blades on to the flange? I search the web for collar and only found those locking collars that don't have any flange on them. Without the bolted flange, I can't really attach the blade. Does flanged collar exist? Or am I heading the wrong path?

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
srandm

For anyone to help, you should tell us what size fan blades, what shape fan blades, what diameter shaft. What are you hoping to drive?

It could be as simple as getting the fan blades already attached to a hub with a set screw for a 1/2" shaft from a discarded AC condenser fan. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

The shaft is 1" in diameter and 2 feet long. I am carving the blades from wood the the length of the blades is 1 foot long. At this point, I am not driving anything. I want to put together this simple turbine for fun and learn more about wind turbine.

Reply to
srandm

Get a roller chain sprocket with the proper bore and OD large enough to attach your blades. See McMaster p.960...

For something a bit fancier, a taper-lock weld-on hub with attachment points for your blades welded on...
Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks Ned for the info. I have a lead now to continue.

Reply to
srandm