FOLLOWUP -- Lathe and VFD -- Some results

How did you test this?

OK. When I say that the VFD is not causing this, I mean that ordinary high-frequency current coming through the capacitance between windings and frame are not nearly that large, by orders of magnitude.

I suspected as much. Don't know why.

An analog meter should be less affected by the high-frequency noise, but analog electronic meters (I have a few) are affected by HF noise. Passive analog meters should be immune.

Some kinds of high-end DMM are designed to make accurate measurements of true RMS currents and voltages in inverter-driven motors. I know Fluke makes such meters, and I imagine that they are not alone. I think the key is "true RMS" and a RMS bandwidth that exceeds the chop frequency by a factor. But I have not tried this yet.

You can also open the green wire and put a passive analog AC ammeter in series. Or a power resistor, and look at the waveform with a scope.

I would be tempted to test a few other motors, for comparison, as well.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

No! Motor - gearbox - spindle, no clutch, no brake, no varispeed drive.

Yes, the highest nominal speed is 1250 RPM, there is a version of the lathe with a two-speed motor, but I don't have that. I could take the motor up to 120 Hz and get 2500 RPM, but the idea of an 8.25" chuck at

2500 RPM scares me!

I think it is 5 Hz, I don't remember exactly. it is a programmable parameter.

Yes, works fine in high speed mode, but with the backgear engaged, it takes a lot of force to turn the chuck. I could EASILY live without it, but since the VFD supported the feature, I put it in, just a push button and one more wire.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson