Forklift parking brake

I have a Cat V50B outdoor forklift.

It has a parking brake that has a cable going into the transmission.

The brake does not work.

How do those brakes function? Are they easy to fix?

Ignoramus8437

Ignoramus8437 fired this volley in news:18udnZyEQ5bUv3DTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

They are usually a drum with a band around the outside, rather than shoes inside.

No matter what, it takes opening the case to fix, unless the cable is mis-adjusted. Try that first.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanks, I will check the cable first...

Ignoramus8437

On mine, there is a switch on the parking brake lever that disables the starter unless the brake is set. Is yours that way?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Better check the lining on the band, too. Once it's worn out, use of the brake starts putting steel on steel, ruining the drum. The glue, which holds the brake lining to the steel band, debonds somewhat frequently over age, so portions of the lining material could be missing.

-- If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door. -- Lois McMaster Bujold

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, this seems like a new age safety feature, this forklift has none of that.

Ignoramus4358

I would have to open the transmission for that, right?

Ignoramus4358

Oops, yeah. All the parking brakes I've seen have been on the OUTSIDE of the tail housing, but those have been on other equipment and cars, not forklifts.

It might be that you can take cover off easily. Cross your fingers and hope so.

I take it that you haven't yet found a service and repair manual. Everyone needs the manual for their vehicles, if only to keep their service people honest when they can't do repairs themselves. Have you checked the site for one?

-- If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door. -- Lois McMaster Bujold

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Usually, as Larry said, they're on the tail-end of the tranny, outside, and working dry. So this is probably a wet brake. Since it's a wear part, likely there IS an access hatch to get to it.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

x2 :D

Y U No Got Service Manual? :D

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

I had written "your site" to Ig but decided to write the URL instead, then got sidetracked and forgot to paste it in.

is Ig's site but the military may have never used his machine.