Forming wire mesh cloth - how to compress a cylindrical shape?

I don't have much in the way of machinery so I've made do with what I have. The wire is 316 stainless and is quite "springy". An arbor press is on my wish list (along with a mill, guillotine, panbrake..........)

I can't quite visualise what you mean. I've tried a few different arrangements, the one I have come up with seems to be the best in terms of being simple to manufacture with the tools I have to hand.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

"Royston Vasey" fired this volley in news:U_SdnftGR-mexuzWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au:

So why not use something ready-made, like this?

Part # 44265K24 Poly large-particle suction screen.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:Xns9D1A6111CA679lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

Or, more like what you're making -- part # 98755K15 LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanks Lloyd, I looked & looked and could not find anything off the shelf that would work. It's hard to get the right mix of size / appearance & cost. Now I've got it sorted the they should cost me ~ $0.10 each.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

"Royston Vasey" fired this volley in news:JoOdnYNTisbTiu_WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au:

I mailed you off-list with a suggestion, and the mail has bounced. Did you see the post about making an insertion sleeve out of several "leaves" of shim stock? After insertion, you draw out the leaves one-by- one, so the diameter of the "crown" doesn't matter.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Sorry Lloyd the email address is bogus. The external compressor approach seems to work ok. I can see how your suggestion of individual leaves would work, but in my case it may be problematic as the cup will sit into gooey urethane glue - the fingers may pull this out as they are withdrawn. Thanks for the suggestions Lloyd (& all others)

Reply to
Royston Vasey

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 20:54:22 +0800, the infamous "Royston Vasey" scrawled the following:

Got a 1T arbor press? It might do the trick, but you'd still need dies.

Think flat water faucet screen shape, glued into a dado in the end of the pvc fitting.

OK. Then maybe the next best thing would be to use a stainless hose clamp to better smooth out the wrinkles over the arbor. That in itself may make insertion into the pvc fitting easier.

-- In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it. -- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's definitely a wrong way of doing it.

snipped-for-privacy@vasey.invalid is one possible way of doing it correctly.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Why?