How to set up a Visual Studio .NET 2003 project with ProToolkit?

Hello,

I have to set up a VS .NET 2003 project for ProToolkit in simple asynchronous mode. For some time now have been looking for a solution, including this:

and this:

tutorial, both won't compile

Could you point me to another tutorial or send me a working project? It is really hard to start without any entry point...

Thx, Chris

Reply to
Christian Friedrich

Well, H.C., you seem to have concluded that "projects" are at fault in your failure to compile one. You haven't presented what you've actually done, but aren't there a bunch of other possibilities for why something won't compile? Isn't that part of the debugging process? And starting with a "simple" asynchronous application is obviously the wrong way to go. You test out your app (I know nothing about Pro/TOOLKIT, have merely listened to the gossip and read the links you've provided) in synchronous, "multi-process" mode as described in the Frotime tutorial. Your app is obviously not ready for prime time, so why are you using the the "release" mode, in which (AFTER it's all debugged) compilaton ought to be a slam dunk, but, since you're having difficulties, you need to back up and use the synchronous mode.

Other gossip I've heard re: compiling apps for PTK: Installation is the biggest headache and stumbling block in getting the C/C++ extensions of PTK to work in the VS/Windows environment. One of the chief incompatibilities between the Windows based VS and the Unix based PTK is the way they handle spaces in variables and variable answers. Unix and PTK are rigid and extremely intolerant of spaces, consistently interpreting them as an 'end input' character. So, for example, if you've followed the Frotime tutorial on the setup of the C/C++ Preprocessor, you set a value for 'FAR=' as 'pt c_far' which looks like a joke. The pattern followed by the other variables would lead one to expect that 'far' would equal 'c_far'; instead, somehow, pt gets appended, as if the author wished it to be 'far=ptc_far', but, with the space between pt and c_far, it wouldn't be interpreted that way. It would be interpreted as 'far=pt'; because of the space, c_far would be ingored in the PTK world. I'm not saying that this is the answer to your troubles; I'm just saying that this is the kind of thing you have to watch out for. Another area where this space issue comes up is in the interpretation of path names as variable values. If you have spaces in your paths, this has been a problem for Pro/e installations, for Pro/m installations and likely for Pro/t installations, as well. Something to look into, anyway. And especially if you are from the Windows world, because this is not a Windows program, doesn't use the Windows API (for anything that I'm aware of, trying to seem system neutral) and follows Unix rules on lots of system stuff (lots of denial and obscuring of issues here, hard to make out what's what), but safe to say, don't use spaces in path or variable names/values and you'll be a lot better off.

A third point of curiosity/contention is whether you've ever gotten ANY program to compile in your VS .NET setup!?! The answer to your question, since it was information neutral, involves going through, at very least, some sort of process of elimination (which you have presumably done already and simply not informed us of its results), then working on this product. Well, we don't know what this product is so it's a scratch game. You offer nothing, you get nothing, game over.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

"Christian Friedrich" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...