Formulas needed

I took a course in Microsoft Excel a long time ago. (to me anything over
three weeks is a long time ago) Now I need to pick it up again. I still
have my books, and am starting to go through them. I intend to go get an
Excel for Dummies, but if I can save $13, I'm not above getting it for free.
MGD is on sale this week, and $13 is $13.
Does anyone know of a site that has the really basic Excel commands and
symbols that go in the formulas box? I mean a b c simple stuff. I went to
Google, and they either wanted me to buy a course, or expected me to already
know it.
BTW, I am going to use this in my metal working, so Nick the Dick can relax
about this being OT.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
excel help pages used to be decent.
Ignoramus1759
Miller products are to be boycotted, as Miller supports the illegal alien protest. Sorry. I drink Sam Adams
keep an eye on alt.binaries.ebooks.technical and Excel for Dummies will float by in a few days. Or you can request it.
Reply to
Rex B
The built-in help may be what you want and if there is a link to the Microsoft web site, follow it and you may see a tutorial.
Reply to
Al Dykes
Steve,

Try this google search. It seemed like it turned up some possibly useful hits.
Wes S
Reply to
clutch
Had me scared for a minute, thought you were talking about Miller welders.
Reply to
Jim Stewart
Doesn't your town have a library?
GWE
Steve B wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
As others have said, Excel help is pretty good. Press the "fx" button right above the worksheet and a list with descriptions will come up. It's a bit of a wizard for all the formulas.
Once you understand how Excel "thinks" it's usually pretty obvious. I'd recommend spending some time going through the list of Excel formulas.
You can also just post specific questions here. While not metalworking specifically, Excel is certainly an excellent tool for the precision machinist and I'm sure your questions would benefit many here.
Regards,
Robin
Reply to
Robin S.
If I would be you, I would start with Usenet for dummies!
With your argument, anything would be ontopic here. You already got the charter for this group. So go read it. Thanks.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Müller
I typed "excel formula" (without the quotes) into google and got 7,800,000 hits. Obviously, you have to sort through the hits that are selling something, but at least 2 or 3 on the first page seemed helpful, if you can't make use of Excel help. Here was a hit that seemed quite useful:
Pete Stanaitis ---------------------------
Steve B wrote:
Reply to
spaco
I bought an earler version at a thrift shop for $3 - it came with 3.5 inch dusks. Not that much variation to the newer versions - and it came with HEAPS of printed reference books, including one of formulas.......(Mr Paperclip hadnt been invented then, they still gave you printed manuals for your hundreds of dollars...)
Andrew VK3BFA.
Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA
As usual google is your best friend. I tried "excel tutorials" and got a bunch of hits. You could try the "Video Professor" who is on TV 24/7 but this one looked interesting.
and some more...
You should be able to find something that meets your skill level (current or desired).
If you have an unusual problem there is an excel newsgroup and the participants are very helpful.
A Google search for just about any program with "tutorial" usually brings up some useful stuff.
Reply to
Unknown
Or what?
Reply to
Steve B
The of topic posts are a small bother but this net Nazi BS has got to stop.
PLONK!
Reply to
Glenn
With net Nazi, you cerainly mean someone who:
- ignores every rule (charter of this group) - thinks that he is superior (thanks god, just a few OT-posters) - doesn't respect others (calling names) - is convinced he is the boss (trying to chase out others)
You are _ABSOLUTELY_ right! Thanks for supporting me.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Müller
Steve - I have an old EXCEL user manual - ver 5 that I kept just for stuff like this... :-) The help inside Excel is not bad for most stuff - but power stuff is the book!
The chapter is over 50 pages so it isn't easy to scan or such.
If you have a 'Dummies' question - ask away - I'll look it up or we here can figure it out!
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Steve B wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Thanks, Martin. Mostly, I just want a document that has the basics of the formulas. I am pretty good in math, having taken many courses in high school and college. Yet, the language of Excel is entirely different than mathematical formulas. During the time I worked with Excel, (a short time), I caught on quickly, but didn't retain much.
I think what I really need to do is find a person locally who can teach me and my wife one on one. We are doing Home Owner Association studies and audits, and spreadsheets are a core part of the study and five year financial projections.
Sheesh, it's like the older I get, my hard drive is getting full, and to put something new in there, I have to delete something else.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
I rest my case. Into the round file with you.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
I just brought up excell and typed in "formulas" without ""'s in the help box and got a nice list of examples for various tasks. It pretty much takes you by the hand and leads ya where ya want to go. I have the 2003 version and have never really used it. I used some of the older versions quite a bit but as you say I would have to re-learn it all over again. If you are on broadband it even will check the microsoft knowledge base for you. (It'l do it on dialup too if you have lots of patience) Glenn
Reply to
Glenn