Formulas needed

Thanks, Glenn. I'll start with "formula" in help, and go from there.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it's getting hard to get things done. There's just so much to do. I think with the modern tools, and methods, we can turn out more work in the same time, therefore take on more work instead of using the labor/time saving devices and then going fishing with the time saved. I'm retired now, and the thing I am the shortest on is time.

I know I just need to sit down with this for a few days and apply myself. However, just like a lot of other things, you can get some fast track information that will shorten the learning curve radically, and move through the starting stages must faster.

Enter the newsgroup. A place where a fellow can ask a direct question and get a direct answer. Something that will get him back out in the shop with some new magic bullets to fight the foe. Aside from the detractions of ankle biters, Net Niggling Nannies, and frustrated political ranters, the core of information and enlightenment shines through all the threads on Baghdad, Bush and bullshit.

So, thanks again to those who helped. You are the glue of the newsgroup among all these floating feathers that blow in and out. Or just blow.

Now, on to Excel!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Unknown" wrote You could try the "Video Professor" who is on TV

I bought the Video Professor CD's for both Excel and Word and found them to be excellent teachers although very basic. Might not be advanced enough for the OP. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Hi Steve,

It sounds like you want to use it for mortgage/money type stuff. Search for some pre-built spreadsheets you can download, virus scan and try. I use an old version of Quattro Pro and it comes with several (actually many) pre-built spreadsheets and macros. Load one of them up and then look at the formulas being used to do something like what you want. Myself, I learn best looking over something that is working and then edit it to do my bidding. It is sometimes a whole lot easier than starting from scratch. Much easier to delete what isn't useful than entering lines and lines and lines...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

So....Am I the ONLY one to believe that Mr. Mooler could, somehow, argue that virtually anything posted here is OFF-Topic?

Sorry about the spelling of your name, Nicky!

Unlike the far superior German alphabet, we only have 26 letters in our alphabet and have to make do.

Reply to
*

At least I have one, contrary to you. Anonymous coward, anyone?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Sorry it bothers you so much.....................

Naw, not really!

Reply to
*

A little heavy-handed with the NAZI censorship, aren't you Nicky??????

"---------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------

Nicky also wrote in an above post.....

I responded.....

So....Am I the ONLY one to believe that Mr. Mooler could, somehow, argue that virtually anything posted here is OFF-Topic?

Sorry about the spelling of your name, Nicky!

Unlike the far superior German alphabet, we only have 26 letters in our alphabet and have to make do.

[

My post "magically" disappeared.......NAZI censorship?????

I can just picture Nicky trying to set fire to his computer in order to get rid of my post........Ever read "Farenheit 451" - the title is the temperature at which censored books burn.

Reply to
*

Nick Müller wrote ......

Don't forget,

- is convinced that *he* has been assigned to censor the posts of others....

I believe he means people who want to censor what others say........just like your book-burning forefathers whom you seem to be emulating, Nicky.......

What does your usenet rulebook say about removing the posts of others?

Reply to
*

Yup!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Take a look in alt.binaries.e-book.technical. Somebody is always posting some book about Excel. If your news server has decent retention, you should at least find one of the "For Dummies" books (no slur on your smarts intended 8o] ). Someone just posted a jillion of those covering a host of subjects.

Reply to
keith bowers

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:51:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Trevor Jones quickly quoth:

I warned Nick that this would happen. I finally filtered him, too.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[ ] You know what censorship is

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Thanks. If you think that OT-postings don't belong here, don't answer, Larry.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

[two postings later]

Doesn't make that look like a little child?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller