fractured compound

I am running an old Bertram lathe and discovered that the pad under the compound slide fractured. One Tee bolt securing the compound from rotating had failed at the end. I managed to braze the parts together with moderate success and the unit is up and running again. This is a big old lathe likely made in the 1940's and can take 36 inch diameter if required. From the look of it the original tool holder was the old lantern style. It has a four position square unit now with carbide insert tooling. I mostly use this thing for rough intermittent cutting for weld preps etc. The failure of the casting concerns me and I am wondering if the heavy loads I am putting on the compound is too much for it? The circle part of the casting that clamps to the bolster set on the cross slide is only about half inch thick. I am wondering if it is just old age? The fracture looked old and dirty, no fresh areas that I could see. It was nicely soaked with dirt and oil making brazing an interesting challenge. Anyone out there have similar failures on old lathes???? Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Its likely to be old age and fatigue. Stuff breaks over time. Having compounds and related support structures is common enough. It afterall..takes the big loads.

Make a new one when you get the chance.

Gunner

"Abortion is self defense" Bob Kolker

Reply to
Gunner

Hey Randy,

Can't help with the question, but I can send you a photo of Bertram's factory as it is today.

Brian Laws> I am running an old Bertram lathe and discovered that the pad under the

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Bertrams Are from our side of the border?

Brent Ottawa Canada

Reply to
Brent

SNIP

Hey Brent

Yep...Dundas, Ontario. The Bertram's were neighbours of ours. Place was the biggest factory in town for many a year. Right across the road was Pratt & Whitney place too, but I don't recall what they did.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I'd be interested Brian. Thanks! From what I can tell the company folded in the fifties. I suspect that this unit ran an interesting life in the forties. This old piece of junk was purchased for 500 dollars and just never quits. It has paid for itself many times over. Plus or minus a sixteenth is the normal demand put on it. Once and awhile I manage plus or minus a thou. but that is optimistic. It is a perfect machine for a welding shop that often is filled with smoke and dust. Any better machine and someone would stand us up against a wall for extreme machine tool abuse. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman