Free Agent?

So far I've just been killing threads that had any kinds of alt. or politics cross posing in them,

There are simply too many loons starting too many new threads every day to keep up any more.

They seem to think it's perfectly ok to cross post to non related groups and aren't going to quit any time soon.

I thought I would try Free Agent and see what it's like, but the Free part seems to have disappeared. Agent 6 looks to be a "trial" run for

30 days only.

What would be a good free reader that provides newsgroup filtering that works? Tbird 6.0 absolutely sucks.

Reply to
Richard

You must improve your Googlefu, young padawan.

Look:

True, it is an older version, but it is FREE!!!!!.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

HOME PAGE:

JR North

For text groups only, I like 40tude dialog.

Dialog is an older windows app, with powerful filtering abilities compareed to most (more modern) news readers; including regex and custom scripting -- if you want to take things that far (expect a steep learning curve to employ regex, and custom scripts).

Sadly it is no longer supported by the author, but it runs well on XP. Under 7 (64-bit) I see some quirkiness with the GUI, but I'm able to work around it with minimal effort. Support is mostly user to user, on news.software.readers. If you read/write German there is an active group de.comm.software.40tude-dialog.

Hope it helps. Bill

Reply to
Bill

FWIW, I'm having pretty good luck using thunderbird - you can make a custom entry into the filter for "newgroups", and then just discard the ones with the flame NGs and almost all the screaming nonsense goes away.

Reply to
Bill

Suck it up and get out a credit card. Agent works like a Timex - Takes a Lickin' and Keeps On Tickin'.

The same people who complained that they weren't going to buy Agent

1.0 because they wouldn't be around long to support it, and it would never get updated and upgraded...

Are the same people still bitching about "the Cost!!" trying to save the $30 for a full copy, or $5 -10 - 15 for an upgrade. Gawdddd. >_<

They "break" Usenet with new features like encryptions and newer formats and compressions, Agent has an upgrade out before it goes live. Same thing with the changes they've made in Binaries. You have a Support problem, they're right there.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

I've been almost completely happy with Free Agent, then Agent, since version 0.96 over a decade ago. The only missing piece of tech I'd like is to be able to kill by person. If a troll's name was in the text of a message (or quoted by some idiot) I'd like to kill it before download. They still don't do text searches. DRAT!

Other than that, Agent is perfect.

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You can't do any better than slrn.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I've been trying to do exactly that, Bill, but I haven't had any luck with it yet.

How about sent me a text file that shows what you've done?

Reply to
Richard

I'd like to run it for a while first. See if it works in a way that my remaining brain cells can grok...

Reply to
Richard

But Master, the link redirects to...

??

Reply to
Richard

I found version 11.1 listed with Oldversion.com This is my first attempt to post with it.

Reply to
Richard

And it really really works!

Reply to
Richard

This is going to take a bit of getting used to. It's sure not Mozilla (at least for the user interface)

It seems more primative, but that's ok.

Now, how to set up kill files??? Make the effort worth the effort...

Reply to
Richard

No Free Agent anymore, their website explains why. Cost for the full version is relatively trivial, works out to about $3-4/year for me. If filters are what you want, it delivers. If you're a regular expression guy, this is the tool for you. And you can try before you buy. A lot of free software is worth what you pay for it. I use my copy of Agent to do both usenet and email. Kills the junk, sorts incoming into the proper folders. Mailing lists are still out there and I'm on a few, this makes it easy to keep up.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I don't think there has ever been a version 11.1, I'm current at version 6 and some change.

Wes

Wes

Picky picky picky. One little dot out of place and suddenly security shows up carrying guns! 1.11/32

Reply to
Richard

That's because there are a bunch of 'Occupy Texas' idiots behind you. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Huh!

It would go a lot like this story.... Do you know the secret handshake?

Johnstown, PA (GlossyNews) - Local and state police scoured the hills outside rural Johnstown, Pennsylvania, after reports of three animal rights activists going missing after attempting to protest the wearing of leather at a large motorcycle gang rally this weekend. Two others, previously reported missing, were discovered by fast food workers "duct taped inside fast food restaurant dumpsters," according to police officials.

"Something just went wrong, "said a still visibly shaken organizer of the protest. "Something just went horribly, horribly, wrong."The organizer said a group of concerned animal rights activist groups, "growing tired of throwing fake blood and shouting profanities at older women wearing leather or fur coats," decided to protest the annual motorcycle club event "in a hope to show them our outrage at their wanting to use leather in their clothing and motor bike seats." "In fact," said the organizer, "motorcycle gangs are one of the biggest abusers of wearing leather, and we decided it was high time that we let them know that we disagree with them using it. ergo, they should stop."

According to witnesses, protesters arrived at the event in a vintage

1960's era Volkswagen van and began to pelt the gang members with balloons filled with red colored water, simulating blood, and shouting "you're murderers" to passersby. This, evidently, is when the brouhaha began.

"They peed on me!!!" charged one activist. "They grabbed me, said I looked like I was French, started calling me 'La Trene', and duct taped me to a tree so they could pee on me all day!"

Still others claimed they were forced to eat hamburgers and hot dogs under duress. Those who resisted were allegedly held down while several bikers "farted on their heads."

Police officials declined comments on any leads or arrests due to the ongoing nature of the investigation; however, organizers for the motorcycle club rally expressed "surprise" at the allegations.

"That's preposterous, "said one high-ranking member of the biker organizing committee. "We were having a party, and these people showed up and were very rude to us. They threw things at us, called us names, and tried to ruin the entire event. So, what did we do? We invited them to the party! What could be friendlier than that? You know, just because we are all members of motorcycle clubs does not mean we do not care about inclusiveness. Personally, I think it shows a lack of character for them to be saying such nasty things about us after we bent over backwards to make them feel welcome."

When confronted with the allegations of force-feeding the activists meat, using them as ad hoc latrines, leaving them incapacitated in fast food restaurant dumpsters, and 'farting on their heads,' the organizer declined to comment in detail. "That's just our secret handshake," assured the organizer.

Reply to
Richard

Wow, that is old. I was worried you grabbed some malware.

Wes

Reply to
Wes