Are there high quality DVDs or Videos of Layouts?

Hi again all
Was just wondering if people knew of good quality layout programs that I could show others in order to help inspire them to take up the hobby......I
am thinking of well shot footage with tips on scenery, weathering etc.
Also, any highly detailed real-life DVDs/videos of steam? Ideally that include shunting, station activity and lineside details. Finally, if anyone knows of good footage of Pullmans, that would be brilliant.
Any help much appreciated
Thanks
Steve (Australia)
"mindesign" wrote

CineRail (from Bradford) produce Videos and DVD featuring those two well know layouts 'Tebay' and 'Biggleswade'.
Peco have also featured layouts on a CD-ROM produced each year and usually given away free with the December issues of 'Railway Modeller' and 'Continental Modeller'. Think they've done this for the last three years.
John.

Don't the Model Rail DVD's feature layouts as well as modelling tips?
Cheers, Mick
Mick Bryan wrote:

Yes... They also released a compilation DVD of layouts only, which featured all the layouts shown in their first 6 or so issues... Have it in the depths of a tea chest, somewhere :)
Cheers Robt P.
mindesign wrote:

Allen Keller Productions has a series of US layouts, can't recall whether you Ozzies use PAL or NTSC, anyhow IIRC they're available in both formats.
www.allenkeller.com
Good Hunting!
we run PAL but everything reads NTSC just fine
thanks
Steve

Thanks everyone - I will try and dig some of these up!
Steve

PAL for broadcast*, but most TV's and DVD players sold here are multi-format, so it matters little.
Steve Newcastle NSW Aust
* - unless you are talking SD or HD digital, in which case I dunno.
Steve Magee wrote:

About the only thing I think you have to worry about is the "regional code" embedded in most commercial movie DVDs and in DVD player software, so that a DVD bought eg in N America won't play on a player sold in Australia or Europe. There's no such restriction on tapes. Keller sells tapes as well as DVDs.

I had no problem in setting my DVD player to "all regions". It came with clear (typewritten) instructions on how to do it.
--
Jane
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html
Jane Sullivan wrote:

Sounds like someone added some unofficial operating information. :-)
Could you post the instructions, or e-mail them? If the latter, there's no 'e' in the correct address.
Thanks.
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

It's specific to each brand/model so that would be no good unless you know you have the same as Jane.
Just Google the make/model number of your player and if it can be set to all region you'll almost certainly find it. For example Google "dvd610 all region" came up with http://www.regionfreedvd.net/player/finlux.html for Philips DVD machines.
MBQ

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

[...]
Thanks, googled, found out my machine can't be reprogrammed this way, but found a nice long lists of a) machines that can be reprogrammed; and b) all-region machines for sale.

Can you change the region your machine is set to? Is so, what happens if you change it to 99?

--
Jane
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html
Jane Sullivan wrote:
[...]

for sale.
As I understand it, a machine that can be set for "all regions" can be set for any region. There are also machines that ignore the region code, and will play any DVD from anywhere.
You can also get software that will ignore or bypass the region and anti-copy codes so that you can play the DVDs on your computer (and make copies of them, too; you can even change encoding format if you like.) Prices are reasonable: the machines cost from around $80US on up, and the software costs from $10 per download on up, depending on what all it can do. Anyhow, I will revisit and restudy several sites, and buy both a new machine and some software in the next few days.
The following is not strictly on topic, but may be of interest.
There are six regions. The aim was and is to prevent people in high-income areas (N. America, Europe) from buying and playing DVDs sold in low-income areas (Asia, Africa.) The entertainment companies price their product as high they think they can get away with. But they have IMO both miscalculated people's willingness to pay, and the value of their product. There is simply too much entertainment product out there. The market is oversaturated. Hence:
a) the proliferation of copying and code-breaking software, which is legal in many jurisdictions, and can be easily downloaded;
b) the developing buyer resistance: for the fourth or fifth year in a row, sales of music are down in Canada and the USA, but this past year there's an interesting twist: the sales of individual tracks via the 'net has not compensated for the drop in sales of CDs: the _overall_ sale of music is down. And no wonder: IMO 99 cents is way too much to pay for a single track of music. Most music isn't worth a nickel IMO. (And I like all kinds of music, I have no favourite style or genre.)
c) a steady drop in DVD prices (20-50% in the last year here), another sign of buyer resistance. Eg, a two-disc set of Les Triplettes de Belleville was priced at $34.95 last year, I go it for $21.95 less 20% the other day. I think that's still on the high side, but I wanted the movie for a Christmas gift. There are also more bare-bones DVDs available: many people have had enough of paying exorbitant prices for "extras" like interviews with stars and directors, etc, which you only watch once, if that.
BTW, I notice that many railroad themed DVDs are priced in the $30-40 range. Way, way too high. I'll keep looking at the VHS tapes for a while longer.
HTH
writes

As I understand it, a machine that can be set for "all regions" can play a DVD that is encoded as "all regions". It does *not* play "any" region.

Regardless of anyone's views on the producers' pricing policies, the items you describe are (probably) *illegal* in your country of residence.
I'm pretty sure that the objectives of *this* newsgroup do *not* include the promotion of illegal devices and practices.
Cheers, Steve
Steve W wrote:

"Fair use" copying has been drastically (IMO unconstitutionally) restricted in the USA, but AFAIK, making an archival copy for personal use is still legal. Restriction on fair use hasn't gone as far here as in the USA (yet).
The entertainment industry's constant whining about "lost sales" is based on the faulty assumption that people would buy the music etc if they couldn't copy it. I don't think so. Some of it would be bought, yes. But most of it just be - ignored.
writes

I understand all that you say, but I think the matter of archival copies for personal use applies only where it is specifcally permitted under the terms of use of the product. My understanding of the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) as it applies in the USA is that all copying of commercial entertainment DVD's is illegal, manufacturing or distributing an uncoded DVD player is illegal, tampering with or altering the player is illegal and so on and so on. Accordingly, "fair use" doesn't enter into the equation because all copying is per se illegal.
I should imagine Canada, along with all the other developed countries, has signed up to the provisions of the DMCA.

But if even *one* DVD would have been bought if not available as a knock-off, then the copying of that one DVD is what? I expect the entertainment industry has got a pretty solid set of assumptions underpinning their operations, that's why they are an industry. If people think that the creative offering of a product is not worth the price, be it a DVD or a model railway locomotive, then they shouldn't buy it. The market will respond.
I generally find that those people who mess around with "knock-offs" of any description are not people I particularly want to associate with. It's funny how people can self-justify breaking the law whenever doing things the right way would impact upon their drinking money or something. (This comment does not refer to you or any other contributor on this fine newsgroup, of course).
Just my thoughts.
Cheers, Steve
Steve W wrote:
[...]

Well, Steve, I don't hold with copying and distributing tapes, CDs, or DVDs, and the only time I've done it was to when there was no other handy way of getting a copy. But I don't hold with price-gouging, either. The pirates put a downward pressure on prices, which IMO is a good thing.
I don't deny that some DVDs are not bought because there are knock-offs, but the assumption that all (or even most) such acquisitions would be purchases at full price if no pirated copies were available is ridiculuous. If only full price copies were available, people would buy far fewer copies, is all; and they would lend them out amongst each other. There's a fair amount of that going on anyhow. I suspect sales would go down, so far down that dollar value would also decrease.
IOW, the entertainment industry exaggerates its losses from piracy big time.
Steve W wrote:

Archival is a right. 'Fair use' is always permitted - and it is above the terms and conditions of any product. Having a backup is part of your fair use rights. In the case of something like a DVD, you have bought the right to view the information/entertainment on the DVD, not just the physical object itself. If the physical object were to get damaged, you still have the right to watch it. This can go one of two ways - either the vendor will be required to replace damaged physical media free of charge, or you will be entitled to take your own precautions against this kind of damage. Vendors aren't required by law to replace damaged media (unless they are DOA), and I don't see this changing. As this is the case, you are entitled to take your own precautions.

It's not the copying that's illegal, it's breaking the protection system. The act of circumvention is illegal, rather than actually copying the data within.
(The act of distribution was always illegal - the DMCA doesn't change this).
If you could make a backup without circumventing anything, (i.e. the content is unprotected) then the DMCA would permit you to do so. Problem is, the DMCA is directly in conflict with your fair use rights when the content is protected. If you really are just making a backup to something you legally own anyway, then I can't see any company or law enforcement agency being that interested TBH.

I think you'll find that most of europe hasn't. (Unless you don't consider most of europe to be 'developed'?)

People generally have a set budget - and they'll buy what they can within that. If one entertainment product is available to someone free as a copy, that will mean they'll spend that money on something else.
So, as an industry, if you "regain" that "lost sale", you'll just lose the next one, as the person doesn't have the extra money to spend. Eliminate all piracy overnight, and the public as a whole won't spend any more on entertainment products - but the distribution of that revenue between the various companies and organisations will likely change.

Assuming you mean organised criminals who make/sell counterfeit goods of all kinds on a large scale, then yes - these are people I too have no desire to associate with. People buying things from these people does take money out of the industry, as it will go to the criminal fraternity instead. But the actions of these criminal organisations are illegal already - the DMCA doesn't make it easier to catch these people and bring them to trial, there are enough laws that cover this already. IMHO the industry (working with law enforcement agencies) should concentrate more on fighting organised criminal gangs. One of the easy things they could do is to stop pricegouging - if there was less markup going to the big media conglomerates, the prices would be lower, and there would be less money for the criminal organisations to make. This means they aren't able to cover their tracks as well, and it's not so worth their while doing it. Should be easier to catch the existing gangs, and there would be less incentive for new entrants. (And this doesn't mean the 'poor lowly-paid artist' getting less, as they get just about bugger all compared to the recording industry as it is.)
What the DMCA is really targetted at, is not organised counterfeitting, but sharing between friends. The industry has previously always accepted sharing between friends. There are two reasons behind this. If a friend lends the entertainment product to another friend, then the first person does not have access to it while the second person does. And if the second person takes a copy before giving the original back, they have paid a 'tax' to the industry as a whole to have done so - as the media they use to do this had a levy imposed on it by the larger media organisations, expressly to cover this. Please note: the artists don't get anything from this 'tax' on blank media. Only the large organisations. Which shows just how much they 'care' about the artists.
Two things changed with electronic distribution - the 'one master' disappeared, so that the first person can still enjoy the product while it is lent to the friend, and the 'tax' disappeared on the copy, as there is no physical media. (This last part is what 'legalised P2P' is all about, regaining that 'tax'.)
James Moody
--
aka: Major Denis Bloodnok | (\
ICQ: 7000473 | \ \ /)