Some metal questions

I have completed my hoisting apparatus to lift some pieces of Corten steel up to mount on a false face along the top of the container. The pieces are

84" x 44". I am going to drill two holes, and use two lift points with a spreader bar so that there is no triangular forces of a lifting bridle. They will be pre drilled, and once up there, tek screwed in 6 places to stabilize, then be plug welded in pre drilled holes, one in every valley, about 7" apart, and 3/8" diameter.

Does anyone know the tearing force for Corten? If I drill a hole 1 to 1.5" in from the edge in two places, and lift equally, I believe that would be safe. Also, does anyone know the tearing force for a 1/2" dia. hole in 1/8" plate? That would be force applied to the hole in a right angle.

I think I am safe here, just wanted to see if anyone knows the figures.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" fired this volley in news:eiLkq.138774$B snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

Steve,

I don't have the figures on CorTen. But consider ordinary merchant stock steel. It runs at least 45Kpsi.

Besides, why would you want to drill it to lift it? An 84x44 piece of corrugated CorTen (what -- 22 gauge?) couldn't weigh more than a couple of hundred pounds. Simple clamps would do.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

A couple of heavy duty C clamps, or sheel lifting clamps, should do it?

Ignoramus20811

It has to fit flat for attachment. If I had two little plate clamps, maybe. But the larger ones hit the wall before the sheet does. This needs to be hoisted in order to fasten it, and the hoisting device can be no more than

1.25" or so thick.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Imagine a sheet of corrugated laying flat on the concrete. That's the way it has to end up vertical on the face framework. So, I can't use anything deeper than the sheet's profile is tall.

I think if I just drill two holes and use stout s hooks it should be good to go. I was just wondering how much tearout force it would take.

Lemme tell you, I wrestled six sheets six by seven feet out of the stack and on to a table to cut with the torch, then stacked them. By myself. And I'll probably be hanging these by myself. The smaller 7' x 3.5' sheets are heavy enough. The big pieces are monstrous to handle for one guy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" fired this volley in news:JuMkq.28029$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

Then don't drill through it and use hooks _through_ it, tack weld a couple of hooks to the outside surface, and raise it up dead-flush to the work. You can grind off the weldments afterwards.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You can't just wrap two chain or cable slings around it? 1/8" steel weighs 5 lbs per square foot so the sheets are only around 150Lbs.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I was actually thinking of a spreader bar with two chains and two grab hooks lifting the bottom edge. Then at the top, drilling two very small holes and tying the sheet to a link at the top. Lift, position, tek, plug weld, cut wires, drop strain on chains.

I'm trying to think this through, as I am going to probably be doing it by myself, and don't want any catastrophes. I can enlist some help, but sometimes, they are more of a hindrance than a help. I really do not have any buddies who have my metalworking experience.

It's also a 40' run, and I want the ribs on the top extension parapet to align with the bottom ridges, so it may take a little fiddling.

Sure glad when this mofo is finished. Well, closed up wind and rain resistant.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Cor-ten in thin sections like that has a yield strength of around 50 ksi; just slightly higher than 1018 or similar low-carbon steels. Like most structural steels, it's not very strong in the bigger scheme of steel properties.

Reply to
Ed Huntress