Freeing up universal joint

My kit car steering rack contains 3 universal joints (made by Nadella). The lower one is particularly stiff - not corroded as it was new when I bought it and it was stiff then. Which oil is best to penetrate the joint as it looks like a sealed unit (can't be dismantled)? I'm currently using WD40.

Stuff that you can buy easily in the UK, please

Reply to
Robin

zir©on

Reply to
David Billington

Robin You may find that your problem is with the caps being pushed in to tight if this is a hook's type joint with caps. With a bit of hammer work tap around the unit so that the hammer strikes tend to push the caps out. Don't beat the shit out of it, just some good taps possibly with a soft faced dead blow hammer. This has worked for me in the past. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Marvellous. I discovered that the rubber seals were too tight. All the working of the joint caused them to split in the end so I ripped them out - the joint is now nice and loose, although I'd rather get it replaced as it is in a fairly important part of the car...

Reply to
Robin

You had a Lancia Beta whose body lasted long enough for the steering shaft UJ's to wear???? Must be some sort of record!!

----------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com

jrlloyd

I bet it's loose. Those seals are there for a reason. You need to replace those joints since they won't last long without the seals.

Reply to
mr electron

I know that... I am searching for a replacement. If anyone knows a good source of these joints (with a splined input at both ends) I would be most grateful.

Reply to
Robin

When I needed u-joints for a project at work, I went with Dana-Spicer. Check with a drive component store in your area like Motion Industries, etc.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Reply to
David Billington

Don't get hung up on finding the assembly with yoke and splines - just get the joint and replace it in the yokes.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce