fs: anyone want a 3 inch crafstman lathe before I part it out?

missing the whole change gear assembly, and the tailstock quill, otherwise seems pretty good - I just finished cleaning it up - slides all slide nicely, no undue wear on the acme screws, bearings seem as good as ever, half nuts are good - if I part it out and take my time, I can probably get around $200 to $300, so I figure $75 is fair - part number 109-2063

I put the chuck that came with it up on ebay

- it also cleaned up nicely.

If you are interested, contact me via the email on my web page - if you want parts, also contact me and let me know what you want.

Reply to
Bill Noble

Bill Noble

You should remove the reference to Atlas in your auction, this lathe has nothing to do with the Atlas lathes sold by Sears as Craftsman.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

You should remove the reference to Atlas in your auction, this lathe has nothing to do with the Atlas lathes sold by Sears as Craftsman.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

thanks - I tried to, but once there is a bid on something I cannot change the title - I did add a note (someone else sent me the same info) saying it was not ATLAS - I guess before the war it was called "dunlap" -

Reply to
Bill Noble

That's an AA 109-0702 (I think) The base model had no change gears, and that's probably what you have.

Nice little resto projects, bring several hundred at an antigue store. I have a couple of earlier models restored, atop the library shelf

I have a complete 109-0701 in pieces, just needs refinish and assembly if anyone is interested.

Reply to
RBnDFW

it's amazing - these things seem to come in bulk or something - I just finished cleaning up a second one, listed it here

This one is totally complete, with a full set of change gears, faceplate, lantern tool post, 2 morse taper centers, etc - should be enough to get you started, though don't expect the same performance from a little lathe like this as from a full sized lathe. I think this particular one dates from 1945, but that's a research based guess.

by the way, the one mentioned below sold for $100, so that sort of sets a floor for the value of these things

Reply to
Bill Noble

In particular, be very gentle with your depth of cut and feeds with larger workpieces. I understand that it is very easy to bend the spindle nose with too heavy a cut.

My own preference from the Craftsman 6" lathes (that 3" is the maximum workpiece radius, which is more common in UK terminology, and 6" is the maximum workpiece *diameter*) is the Atlas/Craftsman -- a much more solid machine.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi Don Happy New Year

I have not visited for a while but noticed your name. You helped me a lot a while back.

Cheers

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4782 (20100118) __________

John Mac

Thank you -- and the same to you.