fs: anyone want a 3 inch crafstman lathe before I part it out?

missing the whole change gear assembly, and the tailstock quill, otherwise seems pretty good - I just finished cleaning it up - slides all slide
nicely, no undue wear on the acme screws, bearings seem as good as ever, half nuts are good - if I part it out and take my time, I can probably get around $200 to $300, so I figure $75 is fair - part number 109-2063
I put the chuck that came with it up on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item00380456122 ) - it also cleaned up nicely.
If you are interested, contact me via the email on my web page - if you want parts, also contact me and let me know what you want.
--
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

Bill Noble wrote:

You should remove the reference to Atlas in your auction, this lathe has nothing to do with the Atlas lathes sold by Sears as Craftsman.
David
David R.Birch wrote:

That's an AA 109-0702 (I think) The base model had no change gears, and that's probably what you have.
Nice little resto projects, bring several hundred at an antigue store. I have a couple of earlier models restored, atop the library shelf
I have a complete 109-0701 in pieces, just needs refinish and assembly if anyone is interested.
Bill Noble wrote:

You should remove the reference to Atlas in your auction, this lathe has nothing to do with the Atlas lathes sold by Sears as Craftsman.
David

thanks - I tried to, but once there is a bid on something I cannot change the title - I did add a note (someone else sent me the same info) saying it was not ATLAS - I guess before the war it was called "dunlap" -
it's amazing - these things seem to come in bulk or something - I just finished cleaning up a second one, listed it here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item00383547274 This one is totally complete, with a full set of change gears, faceplate, lantern tool post, 2 morse taper centers, etc - should be enough to get you started, though don't expect the same performance from a little lathe like this as from a full sized lathe. I think this particular one dates from 1945, but that's a research based guess.
by the way, the one mentioned below sold for $100, so that sort of sets a floor for the value of these things

    In particular, be very gentle with your depth of cut and feeds with larger workpieces. I understand that it is very easy to bend the spindle nose with too heavy a cut.
    My own preference from the Craftsman 6" lathes (that 3" is the maximum workpiece radius, which is more common in UK terminology, and 6" is the maximum workpiece *diameter*) is the Atlas/Craftsman -- a much more solid machine.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Hi Don Happy New Year
I have not visited for a while but noticed your name. You helped me a lot a while back.
Cheers
John McNamara
| Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4782 (20100118) __________